Chapter 1

—Open Interlude—
"Just because we can't be together.
Doesn't mean I can't love you."

Atlanta, Georgia
December 25, 2016
9:51 PM

DESIRAE KOLLINS

Raising my hand to knock, I stopped and took a deep breath, forcing myself to hit the door but instead, I press the doorbell. Waiting nervously, I hear the ding-dong sound come from inside, and someone running to get it.
The door opened slowly, and my younger sister's warm, loving face was revealed. I embraced her in a tight hug, suddenly unsure why I hadn't returned in so long.

     "Des!" My little sister hugged me tightly as I rocked her in my arms. "I missed you so much. Merry Christmas!"

"I miss you more, De. Where is everyone?" I asked, suddenly pulling away and reaching down to grab a few of my luggage.

"They're all in the dining area. But, momma and Aunty Wanda are in the family room looking at family pictures for the millionth time."
Destiny scoffed, causing me to laugh at the image of seeing my mother flipping through tons of childhood pictures of us. I could see the look on her face once she sees that I'm back from college.

I attend Colombia University, in NewYork for entrepreneurship. Two more years and I can finally pursue my career in business. Right now that was one of my least concerns.
       Destiny continued helping me with my bags. While receiving them, she stopped and scanned her eyes over my luggage, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Yes I got you something, the gifts are in my car." I proceed to say.

Destiny flashed me a wide smile. Hearing small conversations in the dining area I didn't bother to make my presence known yet. Allured by the scent of freshly baked Christmas cake coming from the kitchen. I took my lingering gaze off of the enormous Christmas tree that was set up in the hallway; adorned with glistening ornaments and glowing fairy lights draped around it.

    "Dang, why you got so many bags, Des?" My sister asked whilst struggling upstairs to my bedroom

Returning to the same streets and homes; to the same people. It feel as if everything has moved on in my absence; perhaps it was foolish to imagine even one thing would remain the same. Being away for only a few months in college I never expect for things to change so fast.

Once we made it up the stairway, every memory I had spent inside my mother's home came rushing back all at once. From the time I was much younger til me graduating high school. I truly missed the times of sneaking out with my best friends and coming home late. Time goes by fast and it's still hard to believe that I'm actually out doing my own thing and taking up responsibilities I never even imagined.