eighteen

loud

"Why didn't I know about you at all these past fifteen years?"

Barton Homestead - January 9th, 2016  

Christa wanted to scream.

Or, preferably, evaporate into thin air.

Whether she reappeared in another place or disappeared completely was up to fate.

Alas, the laws of physics weren't in her favor today.

Nothing was, as a matter of fact.

So she screamed.

And Stark (unsurprisingly, because the scream was loud enough to make any person with perfectly normal hearing wonder if it were to cause them to go deaf) let out a yell and covered his ears, stumbling backwards and tripping and falling onto the floor. After the sound dissipated, he stared up at her, shock and amazement and also a little bit of terror displayed very prominently on his face.

He stood up cautiously, rubbing his head, and shouted, "What--the hell--was that?"

Christa was breathing very slightly heavily, eyes opening and fixating on the man before her. Though not all her emotions had entirely settled, that burst of noise and energy had done a world of wonders on her soul.

"That," she said, sarcasm dripping from her words, "was what we call a stress reliever."

"Did it work?" Stark questioned in strongly evident annoyance, still rubbing his head. "Because I don't know about you, but it feels like at least twelve different sirens just went off in here at once, and my head feels worse than that one time I fell from space in the middle of New York."

Christa did a mock consideration, rubbing her chin with her right hand and looking in another direction as she did so. She looked back at Stark and, eyebrows raised with contempt, and gave a firm, sarcastic, "No."

Stark knitted his eyebrows together. "Was it worth it to make me go half-deaf?"

Christa considered him again. "Yes."

"And may I ask why, exactly?"

"Because you're a di--"

"Christa!" Laura exclaimed.

Christa looked over, taking in the brown-eyed gaze, the hand placed gently on Clint's motionless one, an arm wrapped around a wide-eyed Cooper, in whose arms was a slumbering Nathan. Christa hadn't even noticed the two come into the room. Cooper had probably been woken up when she had given that initial scream.

"No, let her finish." Stark had an arm up as though to emphasize what he was saying.

Laura raised her eyebrows at the man, but said no more except whisper something to Cooper, who nodded silently.