Divided

1973
--------------------
Ricky:
--------------------
I hear raised voices coming from a little ways in the woods. My interest was peaked, so I followed them. In the cover of the overgrowth, I eavesdropped on the two men arguing. A sick feeling erupted in my stomach as I realized who they were.

"You can't!" Shouts James.

"Why not, Conrad? She isn't a married woman. She isn't tied down by anyone! She-"

"She is too pure for our world! No man is great enough for her. She is a delicate flower within a raging storm. We cannot touch her! It'll tear her innocence apart. I love her with everything I am, but I can not possibly stain her beauty with my horrid past. I just couldn't, and i'm not going to allow anyone else to bring her down!" James interrupts.

"James." I whisper, now in the clearing with them.

Tears spring from eyes, and I run to him. He catches me.

"I love you." I whisper into his chest.

"You shouldn't." He sighs.

"You're right, but I do." I laugh.

Suddenly there's an echoing clap. I turn and see a very annoyed Nina.

"Wow! Bravo! Excellent show. Now can we please get back to surviving?" She snaps.

I walk back to the beach. The ground begins to rumble. I'm thrown every which way. James catches me, and hoists me up. I look around frantically. A huge scaled foot comes screaming to the ground. I jump out of the way. A few of the soldiers aren't so lucky.

"Run!" James shouts over the chaos.

A gut wrenching roar, bellows from the monstrous lizard. I race off into the woods, not caring where I was. I hear a grunt and snapping of twigs. I look back and see Slivko on the ground. I race back to his side.

"C'mon." I egg on, trying to lift him up.

He gets to his feet, and we continue running. James is a good distance away. The ground is shaking badly. I try to keep my footing, but it's no use. I topple to the ground, my back hits first, but my head crashes down on a rock. I hear a ringing in my ears. Nothing else is registering. Slowly I get to my feet. Trying to balance is a challenge. My hearing is returning.

"Ricky! Ricky!" I hear someone shout.

It's a desperate shout. One I don't recognize.

"I'm hear!" I croak, my voice strained.

I hear rustling and fast footsteps.

"Ricky!" Greets James, pulling me close for a hug.

Then he shoves me along.

"Wha-"

"Go! We have to move! Run!" He pants, picking up speed.

We are racing along. Jumping over logs and twisting roots. James is experiance in jungle terrain, but he does stumble. I look back at him, for a moment the world is frozen. Everything just stops, I see the tree sailing towards us. My brief smile disappears. I start to turn towards him. He looks back and then the world resumes it's normal pace. I throw myself on the ground, groaning as I get scraped up. I hear James grunt too. The tree busts into the ground near us, splintering wood thrown in our direction. I hear an outburst from James. I look up and see a huge chunk of wood sticking out of his thigh.

"James?" I gasp, racing over to him.

I go to pull the wood out, but James stops me.

"Not here." He pants.

So I help him to his feet. We stumble along through the jungle. Everyone else is gone, no where to be found. I stop for a second, helping James sit up right on a boulder. As I look at the ground I notice something. A human footprint. I feel it, noticing how the mud begins to return into a flat surface.

"James? What do you make of this?" I question, helping him closer.

"They're fresh. They're not one of our people's tracks. Probably... natives." James trails off.

His eyes are looking off in the distance. I follow his gaze and my breath catches. There's an older woman splattered with mud, just standing there. Even under all the dirt, I can see her skin is a dark brown.

"Hello. We need help. Can you help us?" I ask, helping James to his feet.

She nods.

"This way."