Nothing Has Changed. Except For Me.

Start from the beginning

"It's nothing," I sniffed. "I just had a bad dream."

"You had a dream about me?" I could almost hear his smirk. "How come? It must have been intense if you are this emotional about it."

"You died. In front of me," I cried, another gush of tears rolling over me. "Because of me."

What was going on? What were these images? Why did they feel this real?

I heard his breath slowing into a deep sigh.
"Please stop crying, Caroline. I don't like having to hear you in such agony and not being able to hold you."

I chuckled through the tears.
"Like I would ever let that happen."

As if to contradict my words, another image flashed before my eyes. Klaus, with long curly hair, hugging me tight and kissing my forehead. Why was he hugging me? And why did it feel like something I had lived?

"Now you sound more like yourself," he exhaled. "But if you ever wish for it to happen, just say the word. I'd be there in a second."

"In your dreams," I told him, pushing away a part of me that relished the thought of him pulling me closer.

"Well, love, I am not the one who called because I saw you in my dreams. That was you. You must miss me at least a little bit," he chuckled.

"Shut up! I regret calling you now!" I said but did not raise my voice or lay any signs of disgust in it. My reaction was more influenced by embarrassment at the truth his words held. After all, I did see him in my mind, for whatever reason. "Just forget it ever happened!"

I hung up on him before he could react. By God, what had I been thinking? Why had I even worried? And why were my cheeks blushing?

The rest of the day, I did not leave the house, trying to process Fake-Bonnie and the image of Klaus.

Something felt off. My surroundings were the same, like they had always been. Still, I felt like I hadn't been here for quite a while. As if I had been gone for weeks. But wouldn't I remember that? Wouldn't others know if I had been gone? What was wrong with me?

I most definitely needed to speak to my friends tomorrow. They needed to know about Fake-Bonnie and Silas.

Wait. Silas? What did he have to do with all of this? I searched my mind for answers, yet could not find any, no matter how hard I tried. Wryly, I shook me head. This was all too bizarre.

Hesitantly, I knocked on the Salvatore's door the very next day. Elena opened up.

"Caroline, hey. What's up? You sounded urgent on the phone," my best friend said. I hugged her, which took her by surprise.

"Oh my god, Elena, it's so good to see you!" I said sincerely.
"Okay? We've seen each other just a few days ago, why he excitement?"

"Right, a few days ago, I know. Still." I let go of her and stepped inside. No matter what she said, it felt like I hadn't seen her for more than a few days. "I have news."

"Then spill , Blondie," Damon smirked.

"Silas is back."

The atmosphere in the room immediately screeched to a halt.
"What? That's impossible! Have you seen him?" Elena worried.

"I haven't seen him in person, no," I admitted.
"Then how," Jeremy started but I didn't let him finish.

"Let me explain. I got a call from someone who sounded like Bonnie. She explained she needed my help and without much thought, I went to see her. She told me about a spell she'd need to perform to defeat Silas. Stefan had apparently called her and told her about an essential object from the past. I agreed to help her, but when she started chanting, something felt off. Turn out I was right. After I confronted her, her appearance changed. She wasn't Bonnie. I attacked her and discovered she was a witch, who had been sent by Silas. I'm not sure what her mission was, she would not disclose any details, unfortunately. We need to call Bonnie and ask her if she knows something about it."

I was aware, my story had not been quite truthful, but my lips had automatically formed the words as if I'd known all along that Silas was behind the ruse.

There was something else on the tip of my tongue. Where was Bonnie? I felt like there was something I knew about her whereabouts, but I couldnt put my finger on it.

Elena took out her phone.
"We need to call her! If what you're saying is true, we're all in great danger!"
She dialed a number but was sent straight to voice mail.

"Why isn't she picking up?" Elena asked in panic.
"Maybe she's sleeping?" Jeremy suggested.
"Well, it's urgent, so she better answer soon. We need her. If she doesn't help us then we're done for," I said.

Jeremy was making excuses, I was sure of it. Yet I remained quiet. I couldn't explain what I was sensing. Better not to overcomplicate the already difficult situation.

"Tell me when she answers," I sighed and decided to leave. Elena wanted to convince me to stay, but I shook my head.

"I need calm." My headache had returned and I was in no mood to evaluate on my state of mind. "If there is any trouble, feel free to call, otherwise please leave me alone for the day."

Home again, I buried my face in my pillow. This was not like me at all. Wanting to be left alone and having a clouded head. There was something lurking in the back of my brain and I had no idea how to dredge it up.

What truth was I expecting anyways? I had forgotten something, something important, but what?

If only I had someone to talk to. Maybe I could call Tyler?

I punched in his number, but he didn't pick up Another unchanged thing. And so, I remained alone, longing for an embrace.

Info: You guys voted for the 2 chapters being published on Christmas Eve and so shall it be! Only two weeks left until then! Stay curious and have a wonderful week!