fourteen

Saturday mornings were the absolutely the worst in my opinion. Well, the Saturday mornings that I had to get up were the worst. The mornings where I was allowed to sleep in till after lunch had already started were the best.

This was not one of those days.

I'd missed a test earlier in the month, really nothing more than a quiz if we're being honest, but apparently it was a big enough deal that I'd had to make it up – at seven-thirty on a Saturday morning. Something about not wanting me to miss breakfast. As if I usually went to breakfast that early anyway.

So thus I was sat at the Gryffindor table approximately ten minutes before breakfast even appeared at the tables. A few early riser and strangling yawners were seated and stumbling around me, but none of my friends were around me.

I should've just gone back to bed, was my only thought as I let my head fall down onto the table. There was no way any of my friends were going to be here anytime soon. A group of loud, laughing guys was walking into the Great Hall and I couldn't help but wonder if my group of friends was just as obnoxious.

"Hey," a voice said and I felt the bench shift slightly as the owner sat down next to me. "Long time, no see."

I looked up to see Terence Higgs pushing a few dangling brown hairs out of his face as he sat backwards on the bench his elbows on the table behind him. The dark circles under his face had faded some.

"Looks like you've been getting more sleep," I said and then almost instantly regretted it. I could've slapt myself. "I mean....you've just got less....I –"

"An' you look like you could use a bit more," he said with a small chuckle. "Ye know, most people just respond wi' hi."

"Hi," I muttered quietly before clearing my throat and tugging at my ponytail. "Um, how have you been Terence?"

"Much better now, love," he said. He glanced across at the Slytherin table, where his friends were no doubt waiting for him. "So now Juniper, Oi've got a quick question for you."

"What's that?" I asked fingering a serving spoon that was plonked right in the middle of a bowl of fruit. I was wondering if it would be rude to start filling my plate while he was here.

"Do you 'av a date to the ball yet?"

"Nope," I answered, finally deciding to scoop some fruit onto my plate.

"Well, would you like to go wi' me?" he asked and I dropped the spoon, fruit splattering everywhere.

"Godric's balls, I'm sorry about that," I said trying to brush some of the fruit off both him and me. He waved me away.

"Is fine," he said. "Oi haven't showered yet anyway."

"Oh right." I dropped a piece onto my napkin before reaching out to snatch up the spoon again.

"So, would you like to go wi' me then?" He asked and I quickly set the spoon down before I could drop it again.

"Oh, well – I....I mean....It's just –"

"No, no oi understan'," he said pushing himself up, his mouth and eyebrows drawn down. I reached over and grabbed his sleeve.

"No, wait," I said and he stopped and looked down at me expectantly. "It's not that I don't want to go with you, but like, I'm real sorry about this, but can you give me a few days?"

"Oh well, take yer time, well not really. Could you you let me know soon?" he said as I let go of his sleeve. "I mean, just, well you know, just in case."

I nodded and he headed over to the Slytherin table. He didn't get very far though before two redheads were dropping into the seats across from me.