As it was meant to be

Carlos

The hooded figures always seemed unreachable. Carlos wanted to study them, but every time he mentioned it to someone, especially Cecil, he was warned against it. In fact it almost scared him how adamant the townspeople were about not approaching the hooded figures. Cecil would casually mention reminders on his radio show to not approach them and Carlos knew it wasn't for the entire town, but more so for Carlos's sake. On this specific day, Carlos decided that he only wanted to watch them. He would make observations quickly and quietly and then continue his work through his memory alone.

Carlos had seen a hooded figure from the corner of his eye. He attempted to follow the creature for a block or two. And he succeeded; the figure didn't seem to notice Carlos. He kept his steady pace after the figure; he didn't notice that he was nearing the dog park. Without warning, the hooded figure disappeared. Glancing around he became worried, Carlos came to a halt immediately. He turned back around to hurry home, an unsettling feeling sitting like a rock in his stomach. Once he turned the corner the sight before him made his throat constrict and his hands shake. Three hooded figures stood in a curved formation in front of him. While Carlos was rendered motionless, the hooded figures began their slow descent upon him. When one lifted its arm as if to grab him, Carlos's world came back into focus.

He turned around and sprinted towards an alley. He felt as though his lungs were on fire, his feet pounding against the sidewalk. With each slap of his foot he felt himself growing weaker. The hot desert town's sun didn't help Carlos's attempt at escaping. Spotting an alleyway, he dashed into it. Ungracefully, he scrambled up Old Woman Josie's fence and sprinted across the yard, never daring to look back, never daring to slow his pace. He could have yelled for joy when the door softly creaked open. He snuck through the house, praying that Old Woman Josie wasn't home. He dared to stalk to the window and peek through it, risking checking for the hooded figures that had been slowly following him when he had dared to go near the dog park. Cecil had warned the town not to approach the dog park or the hooded figures (again), but he couldn't resist. After all, he was a scientist. That's what they do, go after things they shouldn't, asking why, finding the answers in the most unlikely of places.

He felt his lips twitch up at the thought of Cecil. Cecil, with his dark tattoos that moved on their own accord, his hair that was supposed to be such a nice light blonde, but changed colors according to how the radio host felt, and those purple eyes(that were almost violet really). The dorky vests, bowties, and violet glasses that sat on his nose made his adorable look complete. Contrasting with his gentle look (despite his dark, moving tattoos, but he usually kept them covered anyway) Cecil has a deep, melodic voice that could soothe the angriest of beasts. He could almost hear it now, "Carlos." The way that Cecil seemed to carefully caress his name as if it were breakable each time he said it made Carlos's thoughts of running from the hooded figures flit away and thoughts of his lovely radio broadcaster consume his mind instead.

"Carlos?" The very same voice called out to him as he whipped around.

"Cecil?" He tried very hard to keep the blood from rushing to his cheeks, but his tan skin burned on despite his efforts. Embarrassment from the way he had been thinking of the man now only feet away from Carlos made responding difficult. "Why are you in Old Woman Josie's house?" Carlos questioned.

"I was going to ask you the same." Cecil countered with a raise of an eyebrow.

Slightly ashamed from his foolishness Carlos turned his head away from Cecil.

"I'm sorry. I know you told us not to approach the dog park or the hooded figures, but I couldn't resist."

Much to Carlos's surprise he heard Cecil scramble towards him, lifting up his chin and searching his face with those violet eyes that made his heart skip a beat. Cecil continued to check him over thoroughly. Cecil exclaimed, "Carlos! I said that on air specifically so you would know to stay away! Just because you're some great scientist doesn't meant that you can just run after any danger that makes itself known! You could have gotten hurt!" As Cecil talked he stopped checking Carlos for injuries and gathered his hands in-between them.