Welcome to Night Vale

Carlos's POV

            Carlos rolled through the desert in his jeep. The hood was down and for some reason the desert was surprisingly warm, despite it being so late at night. Carlos felt the comfortably hot air drift over him as he drove towards the town in the distance. Feeling slightly lonely in such a seemingly empty place, Carlos turned on the radio. "Welcome, to Night Vale." a melodic, deep voice drifted from the speakers of his car.

   This intrigued Carlos. Night Vale was the name of the town he had recently been assigned to after receiving a grant from his department. The man proceeded with the news. Wanting to get to know what his town would be like, Carlos paid rapt attention. What Carlos wasn't expecting was how strange this new town seemed to be. The first segment was an announcement from the city council. Apparently, a new dog park had opened up. Yet, according to the city council, dogs were not allowed in the dog park. People were being told to not approach the dog park. Hooded figures would be in the dog park, the people were told not to approach them, or even look at them. Carlos was so confused- a dog park that didn't allow dogs? This town sounded so strange. Next in the news they spoke of a woman who seemed to be named Old Woman Josie.

       It seemed that Angels had appeared to her and helped her change a light bulb. Carlos glanced up to see himself nearing none other than the mysterious town itself. He passed Big Ricco's Pizza and pulled into a lab that had his companies sign out in front. He switched off the car and wandered into the building, missing the mystery man’s voice describe something new. This mystery man told the town, 

  "A new man came into town today. Who is he? What does he want from us? Why his perfect and beautiful haircut? Why his perfect and beautiful coat? He says he is a scientist. Well, we have all been scientists at one point or another in our lives. But why now? Why here? And just what does he plan to do with all those breakers and humming electrical instruments in that lab he is renting—the one next to Big Ricco’s Pizza? No one does a slice like Big Ricco. No one." But Carlos didn't hear the man describe himself. He didn't hear someone who had never met him describe him in such detail, and who knows what would have happened if he had?        

    A few days later Carlos held a town meeting. He introduced himself. He told the town that they were by far, the most scientifically interesting town in the US, and he had come here to study just what is going on. He smiled, trying to win over the ominous looking people dressed in official-looking suits at the back of the room who looked on with an impassive gaze. 

    While at the meeting, Carlos managed to meet Old Woman Josie. She had made corn muffins and Carlos hadn't the heart to tell her that they were missing salt. He smiled and ate the entire muffin. She was a shorter woman, chubby and soft looking. Her purple dress and black church shoes complimented her soft facial features. Her hair was a lovely white and cut very short in an average older woman cut. In her purse she kept glasses that she used for reading. Everything about her was simple, but welcoming.           

         Carlos also met someone that he had wanted to meet since the moment he first turned on his radio. He would now recognize that deep, soothing voice anywhere. Carlos turned his head to see one of the most fascinating people he had ever met. His hair was an extremely white blonde, and he was pale. He was fairly tall, easily taller than Carlos who stood at an average 6'2”. He wore a basic long sleeved shirt, with a brown vest over it. Adorning his neck was a startling purple bow tie, but it worked on the mystery man. His sleeves had been rolled up to reveal dark tattoos contrasting his pale skin. At first glance they seemed to be tentacles and eyes littering his arms that only stopped when the shirt started. As Carlos continued to observe the tattoos he noticed something else, the tattoos were moving across his arms. Slithering and floating on their own accord. Carlos glanced back to the handsome man's face and noticed something else. Behind the purple glasses that the man was wearing, his eyes were a startling violet. As Carlos stared into them, the man glanced up. He gave Carlos a small smile and Carlos felt himself fall in love instantly. He watched as the man positively floated towards Carlos.  

            “Hello,” the man smiled warmly. “Welcome to Night Vale, I’m Cecil.”Carlos held out his hand and smiled. Cecil. The name fit him perfectly. “Thank you, Cecil.” Carlos let his name fall from his mouth effortlessly. 

            Carlos turned on Cecil’s radio show later that night in anticipation of what his lovely broadcaster would say next. Just as he went to turn on the station a colleague of his came into the lab, carrying a beaker of brown glowing liquid. Carlos retracted his hand from the portable radio. Somehow, listening to Cecil was an activity that Carlos didn’t want to share, even though it seemed the entire town listened. It was something that Carlos had wanted to be alone to listen to. With a sigh, he abandoned the radio and turned toward his colleague, pulling on a spare pair of safety goggles and getting down to business. 

Cecil’s Point of View

            Cecil paid rapt attention to the scientist.  He watched as Carlos told the town how interesting this town was, how he wanted to study the town. Cecil feared for Carlos, he feared for what Carlos didn’t know.  His hair was black and slightly curly. It wasn’t long enough to hang loosely, but it was still fairly long.  His skin was a dark mocha color, matching big brown eyes that sparkled when he talked of his plans to study the town. While his lab coat was pristine, clean and ironed on his broad shoulders, his jeans were tattered at the bottom. He wore an unknown warn in band t-shirt and his shoes were ratty, yellow chucks. His teeth were like a military cemetery. He was perfect, but then he was gone.

       Cecil wandered the room, attempting to look for Carlos without seeming like he was looking for the scientist. He got caught up talking to Tilly the barber when he felt someone staring at him. He glanced over to see none other than Carlos himself staring at Cecil. Cecil pushed his blush down from his cheeks and attempted to leave the conversation he was in. “Hello. Welcome to Night Vale, I’m Cecil.”

            Carlos reached out to shake his hand and with a small smile he said, “Thank you, Cecil.” Cecil couldn’t help but love the way the scientist said his name. He couldn’t help the broad smile on his face or the way his hand felt much too cold after he let go of Carlos’s hand. Maybe he waited around slightly longer than necessary for the scientist, and maybe he talked about the scientist on his show that night. All he could do was hope that Carlos hadn’t discovered his radio show yet.

                                                                   Hello.... If you didn't know already, this is a Welcome To Night Vale fan fiction with a CecilxCarlos pairing. This work is actually pretty short the whole work is only 5,000 words or so. So this will only be a few chapters long unless I decide to change up the format or something. Feedback is appreciated.