"There are no accidents." The tortoise said.

Shifu narrowed his eyes. He had heard Oogway say that already. Shifu sighed, "Yes. I know. You've said that already. Twice." He turned so that only half of his body was facing the tortoise.

Oogway laughed, his eyes half-lidded, "That was no accident, either."

"Thrice." Shifu added, almost sadly.

"My old friend," Oogway began walking towards Shifu. The red panda had his back facing him at this point. Oogway continued, "the panda will fulfill his destiny as will you, once you let go of the illusion of control." Oogway's smile was small. Shifu looked confused, "Illusion?"

"Yes." Oogway said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, "Look at this tree." Oogway gestured to the Heavenly Peach Tree, "I can not make it blossom when it suits me, nor make it bear fruit before it is time." He looked up into the tree.

"But there are things we can control." Shifu countered. He looked up into the tree. Shifu reared back and kicked the tree harshly, causing many peaches to fall to the ground. A peach hit him square between his ears, "I can control when the fruit fall. And I can also choose when to plant the seed!" Shifu grabbed the pit out of the peach and buried it in the ground, "That is no illusion, master!" He panted. Shifu pinned his ears to his head stubbornly.

"Ah, yes," Oogway said. Shifu looked away as Oogway spoke again, "but no matter what you do, it will be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach."

"But a peach can not defeat Tai Lung!" Shifu said, exasperated. He had to get Oogway to understand that the panda would not be able to face Tai Lung in combat. Yet, as always, Oogway had a response,

"Maybe it can." The tortoise said softly, "If you are willing to guide it. To nurture it. To believe in it." He gently covered the peach pit with dirt. Oogway looked at Shifu with soft eyes.

"But how?" Shifu pressed for answers. It was already obvious he could not train the panda. He had already tried for two days to train the panda, but he had not an inkling of what to do, "I need your help, master!" Shifu begged.

"No." Oogway said, "You just need to believe. Promise me, Shifu," Oogway said, weakly, "Promise me you will believe."

"I..I will try." Shifu replied. He made his pact.

"Hmm. Good." Oogway said. The wind started to pick up. Oogway looked at the sky, then back to Shifu, "My time has come." The tortoise said. Oogway turned to Shifu, and gave him his staff, "You must continue your journey without me."

Shifu's eyes widened, "W-W-What are you-? Wait!" Panic began to take over Shifu. Oogway could not leave! Not at a time like this! "Master!" Shifu called out to him, "You can't leave me!" Shifu's breathing sped up. This was the worst time for Oogway to pass on. The great tortoise turned to him. Flower petals began to engulf him,

"You must believe.." Oogway said mystically.

"Master!" Shifu cried, holding out Oogway's staff.

Flower petals began to swirl around the grandmaster's body. Oogway smiled contentedly, as if he had been waiting for this time. He lifted his head up and felt the soft petals graze against his scaly skin. Shifu's eyes widened in disbelief. The tortoise's body began to glow, and the petals began to engulf him. The tortoise began to fade away, leaving nothing behind. The flower petals let the breeze carry them away to the heavens.

Oogway had ascended.

.

.