xxiv. arthurs attack

Start from the beginning

It was obvious that everyday that passed Sirius missed James, and her mum for that matter also. She frowned. Her left hand twitched, but she ignored it.

"That sounds like something Harry would do. Do you miss your Hogwarts years?"

"Hogwarts was like a second home to me when I was younger. My other one being the Potter's home." Sirius explained. "Hogwarts is a special place, but I think without James and Remus it wouldn't have been like that. Yes, I didn't have a good home life, but they made Hogwarts home."

"Really?"

"For example, would you miss Hogwarts as much as you do, if Harry, Hermione and Ron weren't there?"

"I'd go to Luke. He is my first choice anyway."

"Okay," he snorts. "And if Luke wasn't there?"

" Then I would hang out with Neville. He's a real cutie, and Luna of corse."

"If Neville wasn't there?"

" Then I'd probably go with Dean and Seamus. . ."

"Okay!" Sirius interjects. " If all your friends weren't there."

"Then no Sirius, Hogwarts wouldn't feel like home. Besides it's not like I go there anymore, so why should I care if miss it or not?"

She glanced over at him, hoping he would say something about her possibly returning to Hogwarts, about Remus helping her convince the Ministry that she should return. But he didn't.

Sirius changed the topic. "Are you excited for Christmas?"

"No. I hate Christmas."

"Why?" he asks. "Christmas is so much fun."

She shrugs. " Just not a fan, the atmosphere is rather dark."

His eyebrows knit. "Dark? I think it's the opposite of dark. That's a very strange thing to say. Where are you getting that from?"

" Not where I'm from." the words slipped out of her mouth before she could stop them. The look that washed across Sirius face made her instantly regret saying them.

Sirius didn't realise what she had said, and took it the wrong way. "That's my fault, since I missed so much, which means I've got to make it up to you this Christmas!"

Thank Merlin he didn't think something else, she thinks. She knew she should try and explain it to him, but she found it harder than she expected. Of course she knew it was going to be hard, but she never thought she would have to tell him.

"You shouldn't blame yourself because of every bad thing that happens. I just don't like Christmas that's all. I prefer Halloween."

"Yes, I should." Sirius begun. "I promise you that this Christmas will be the best of your life, and besides your birthday is in January, and we can all spent it together."

"Please don't remind me!"

"You, love are the daughter of an an innocent wrongly convicted mass murder. Your birthday will be one of the best days of the new year. I know it was the best day of my life."