Chapter 20- Drunk (again)

Later on in the evening there is a knocking at the door. I stumble out of bed and shuffle over to the door. I swing it open to lay eyes on Austin. The rain is coming down in buckets and his hair and clothes are clinging to his body. He looks at me sadly.

I shut the door quickly.

I don't want to see him. He made his point earlier what more can he want? I step back from the door for a moment. I can't hear any noise on the other side. I open the door cautiously. Austin is still standing there, staring back at me vacantly.

"Austin?" I ask nervously.

"Jade?" He slurs.

I can tell instantly that he's drunk. Why does he always get drunk after we have an argument?

"What are you doing here? It's raining and freezing." I say. As if to prove a point lighting streaks across the sky and thunder echoes around the parking lot.

"I made a mistake Jade." He mumbles resting his hand on the door frame and lurching forward. I step back in surprise. He rests his head on the bus wall.

"I know. But you said sorry Austin. What more can you want?" I bite my lip, I'm still angry at him. But there's no point arguing when he's drunk out of his mind.

"Because." He says staggering back into the rain. "I will stand here. All night. In the cold and rain."

"Why?" I frown in confusion.

"Because I want to prove to you I am sorry." He says quietly.

"Go home Austin." I sigh. He can't stay out here he will catch a cold.

"I'm staying right here." He says folding his arms and flicking his wet hair out of his face.

Silence falls upon us and he stands there watching me. I can't leave him out in the rain.

I pause, "Come inside." I say quietly opening the door, "Be quiet because the others are asleep."

He looks at me in surprise. I can tell he's going to be stubborn. I grab his arm and pull him in.

"But Jade-" He starts to whine.

I put my finger to his mouth to shut him up. He goes cross eyed trying to look at it and I can't help but laugh. He's suck a cute drunk. He smiles at me lopsided.

"Take your clothes off." I say turning the light on.

"Woah there." He smirks, wiggling his hips suggestively.

"Not like that." I roll my eyes. "Your clothes are wet. You're gonna catch a cold.

He sighs and fumbles with his wet t-shirt. He looks at me helplessly. I sigh and step forward, gently to peeling his sodden clothes off him. He stands there, goosebumps all over his skin. I know he's to stubborn to admit any discomfort though. I turn and walk into the bathroom, I bring back a towel and throw it at him. He catches it clumsily and wraps it around himself. The whole bus is lit up by some lighting and Austin jumps in surprise, thunder soon follows and he flinches away. I watch him in surprise, I've never seen him scared.

"Can I sleep on the couch tonight?" He asks pitifully, "It's... scary outside." He pouts at me and I nod sympathetically, he really is drunk.

"Yeh, okay Austin."

"Thank you." He whispers and shuffles over to the couch. I turn the lights out as he lays down. I pad back to the bunk area, but before I leave the room Austin calls my name.

"Jade?" He slurs huskily. "I really am sorry."

"I know." Is all I can say. I turn and climb into my bunk, pulling the sheets up around my face, trying to block out the thunder and the rain.