***

"Now I know you two aren't sleeping the day of my rehearsal dinner." I heard the all too familiar voice of Serenity say.

I opened my eyes and turned around awkwardly due to Shawn's arms around me. I seen Serenity standing there with her arms crossed. Shawn woke up as well.

"Sorry Ren I was tired, you try making a human." I yawned.

"People are going to be getting here, please get ready. I better not have to come back up here and drag you both down myself." She said sounding upset.

With that she turned around and left the room. She shut the door and we could hear her heels retreating from the door. I sat up and stretched, I looked back at Shawn as he still laid there.

"Guess thats our cue." I told him.

I then got off the bed and walked to the closet. Serenity has a dress already prepared for me to wear today. I took it and headed to the bathroom. I shut the door and used the bathroom before getting dressed. It was a cute black dress that hid my bump pretty well.

Once I was done I walked out of the restroom to see Shawn already dressed. He wore a white button up that was tucked into his slacks. He reminded me of prince Eric from the Little Mermaid. It also happened to be my favorite Disney princess movie as well.

I sat down to do my hair and makeup while Shawn used the bathroom. Once we were ready, we walked out of my room and down the stairs. Sure enough there was a lot of people already here, it's no wonder why Serenity was mad we weren't up.

Shawn and I walked around, his hand was always on the small of my back. I forgot how bad my anxiety got from these types of events. But having Shawn by me I felt relieved. Though I did find myself twisting his moms ring that was on my finger.

"Oh there you two are." I heard my mother's voice before I seen her.

Shawn and I turned around and she walked over. Despite my moms sudden change of heart, I was still walking in egg shells around her. Never in the last 20 years of my life had my mother ever spoke or acted this way. And for her to suddenly have a spur of the moment change, it was off.

Shawn became stiff and the pressure of his hand on my back increased. I looked up at him with a questioning look. But he then forced a smile which made me look at my mother. Again I knew something was weird or wrong.

"Peyton, you are glowing. Pregnancy looks amazing on you." My mother creepily complimented me. She didn't say it in a creepy way, I just found it creepy.

"Thank you?" I said confused.

She then looked around, "Peyton you remember Steve. You two grew up together, they were best friends when they were smaller." My mom said looking at Shawn.

A tall man walked over, he was built and in an expensive suit. He was tan and when he smiled he had dimples. His eyes were a hazel green and his face was just one I recognized all too well.

"Hey P." Steve said as he ran his fingers through his black hair.

I smiled, "Hey you! How are you?" I asked.

I walked over and gave him a hug, it was nice. Steve was my one normal friend, well somewhat normal. We both had the same mentality of wanting to not live this life. Except he didn't want to disappoint his dad. So he stayed here and embraced the name. We pulled apart and I walked back to Shawn.

"Steve this is Shawn, my fiancé." I introduced him.

"Nice to meet you." Steve told Shawn as they shook hands.

"Likewise." Shawn said.

"You left to San Francisco to get hitched little p?" Steve joked.

I laughed, "I can see you haven't changed one bit. Still tormenting your sister's?" I asked.

He smirked, "Nah I got to act responsible."

"Yes Steve was telling me he took over his dads company. He's the new CEO." My mom said, reminding me she was here.

"Wow Kalihan, I leave for five months and you take over a business?" I asked.

"Shawn, sweetie let's go introduce you to some of Peyton's other family members." My mother said.

They then walked away just leaving Steve and I alone. I would've felt my anxiety come back now that Shawn was gone. But Steve was someone who knew me better than my own family. I was in good hands.

•••

The good part happened to be one of my best friends. What I didn't realize at the time was it was a good part that had a bad outcome.

Authors Note//
Cliffhanger because if you know me you know this isn't new.
If you also know me, you know my books aren't mine if it's all sunshine and rainbows. That's just not natural for me so be prepared
Let me know what you think
Until Next Time Peace Lovelies✌🏼💚