Chapter 24: A Short Rest on the River. April 29th.

Start from the beginning

"Ho, ho, ho," said Josselin hollowly as he threw down a heavy keg of shot. "All right, we're tough, bring on the Iroquois."

"They'll come soon enough. Unless you have a lucky ass, you'll get all you can handle."

"We haven't seen one yet. Well except for those two that Pilote and Hebert killed."

"They don't count? What do you think they're going to do, parade in a single file for you?" asked Jurie.

"Well, there are supposed to be thousands of them; where are they?" asked Louis Martin.

"Coming downriver, we hope. In small bands, we hope. Out of ammunition, we hope," said Jurie.

"Wouldn't it be safer for them to come en masse?"

"Naw," said Dollard. "They come in small bands because they have to eat the game they can kill en route. If they all came together they'd starve. Besides, they know they're safe in the woods. Except for small bands of Huron and Algonquin who's going to hurt them? Not us certainly. We've stayed closeted inside the fort so long it's like admitting the Iroquois own the forest.

"They do," said Jurie.

"And the Algonquin and Huron don't?"

"I didn't say that."

"Besides, they don't own it anymore. France owns it," said Dollard. "Although they don't really give a damn about it. From what I've heard, every governor of Quebec has asked for more settlers, more troops, more money to open up this country to explore it. They just don't care in France. 'What are they talking about', they say. 'Just a lot of ice and snow and beavers.' Oh, yes, they want the beaver. Immediate profits. Other than that, we're on our own."

"France can't own this place without fighting for it. The Iroquois aren't going to make them a present of it. And we sure aren't going to get it staying in the fort," said Jurie.

"'What the hell do you think this is all about?" asked Dollard,

"I know, I know. I'm only saying that you don't get territory by planting a flag. The Dutch and the English are working harder than we are. We have the best chance, we were here first. We have the best explorers, but they are always called back. 'Don't go too far; King Louis wants to keep what he has."

"It's more complicated than that," said Dollard. "Militarily we have to develop our own leaders. If we fought here as they do in Europe we would be dead in one day.

"Can you imagine lining up in bright blue and red uniforms with drums and flags and asking the Iroquois if they wouldn't mind starting the war tomorrow, please, because the sun is in our eyes right now?...like they do back there? Hah!"

"But isn't Maisonneuve doing what he can?" asked Louis Martin.

"Yes," replied Dollard. "He's astute. He makes Montreal go with very little. He offers land to soldiers who've signed on for three years --at the end of three years, you get some land. He gave me some land last year."

"Hell, it's a good deal," interrupted Jurie. "The peasants in France should be so lucky. The farmers have lots of land here and they can prosper. They've got to work, of course. It's really no place for you, Christophe."

Christophe Augier leaned against a rock and nodded his head like a cork on a line.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm waiting for you guys to get the beaver then I'm going to open up a house of prostitution and get rich."

Howls of glee and applause met his remark.

"Where'll you get the girls?"

"Oh, in Quebec and Three Rivers. From France. Imports. Very good quality. Half the girls sent over here -- Les Filles du Roi --are street girls. I'll also use Indians for exotic tastes and for aberrant cases, I'll employ ex-nuns from disrobed convents."

"They aren't street girls, they're orphans."

"Same thing."

"Fantastic. When do you plan to start this establishment?"

"When we get some beaver, and I get some capital. I could hardly borrow the money from Dauversiere, now could I?"

Hardly. Dauversiere, who was one of the chief guiding lights of Montreal's founding, would have choked at the suggestion. Montreal was different. Quebec and Three Rivers were established and supported, if such a word can be employed to describe neglect, by the King of France. Montreal, on the other hand, was begun by Dauversiere and Fancamp with Maisonneuve as their governor and spiritual and practical agent.

Jesuit sources and those of Jeanne Mance and Marguerite Bourgeoys lent influence that persuaded the king to absolve Montreal from many embarrassments from Quebec.

Naturally, when Montreal was being founded in 1640, the governor of Quebec, De Montmagny, opposed the plan for several reasons. It would divide resources; it was most exposed to Iroquois attacks; it would, by having its own governor, usurp some of his authority. He called it the 'absurd enterprise" so that posterity might know that this well-intentioned religious undertaking 'was madness and in the hands of God.

Indeed, it was, for neither Quebec nor France gave it much help. At least God cared for it, or so said the citizens of the town.

It was in a dangerous military position, but it was also in a most favorable one for trade, for farming and for the main purpose for which it was founded: the conversion of the Indians.

The men debated the policies of France toward their town. They debated the military strategy or lack of it. They talked about the beaver and what they would do with the profits.

At noon, Robert Jurie reminded them that at sunset they were leaving and so they covered themselves in their cloaks beside a low fire and went to sleep.