Battle of Long Sault
NOTE: The book is getting a slightly new title and a new cover while it is in final edit before publication on Amazon and elsewhere. It will be entitled
Dollard des Ormeaux and the Battle of the Long Sault
The Battle of Long Sault occurred over a five-day period in early May, 1660 during the French-Indian wars. It was fought between French colonial militia, with their Huron and Algonquin allies, against the Iroquois Confederacy. The battle took place along the Ottawa River in Canada at a series of rapids known as Long Sault. (Sault is an ancient French word for rapid(s).)
A force of 17 Frenchmen and about 40 Indian allies under the command of Adam Dollard des Ormeaux went up the Ottawa river to ambush marauding Iroquois on the river as the Iroquois had been doing to the French for years.
He was joined by 40 Indian allies, Huron and Alqonquin, but as they prepared to camp at the bade of the rapid, two Iroquois war canoes came slicing over the rocks.
The fight began and they did well for time because they had more guns than the Iroquois and were better shots.
But the odds and the battle's outcome came into doubt as 200 Iroquois reinforcements arrived down the sluicing waters.
The French could not reach their canoes, which the enemy burned.
They were running out of water, food and ammunition.
Then, things got worse.
Think the Canadian Alamo.
This is not a love story.
- Chapter 1: Iroquois Attack at Quebec
- Chapter 2: The Ambush Pitch
- Chapter 3: Fighter Recruitment Montreal, Autumn, 1659.
- Chapter 4: Attack Plan Evaluation
- Chapter 5: Prud'homme's Tavern Montreal
- Chapter 6: April, 1660, Quebec
- Chapter 7: Departure's Eve
- Chapter 8: Attack on Nun's Island
- Chapter 9: Second Departure from Montreal
- Chapter 10: Huron and Algonquin Chiefs. First Meeting.
- Chapter 11: Water Babies
- Chapter 12: Who are the "Savages?"
- Chapter 13: Guns and Ammunition
- Chapter 14: Birch Bark Canoe Repair
- Chapter 15: Dollard's Paris secret and The Lake of Two Mountains.
- Chapter 16: Annenraes calls an Iroquois Confederation War Council
- Chapter 17: IROQUOIS VS FRENCH/HURON: First Deadly Meeting.
- Chapter 18: The Deadly Dupe Tuque Trick
- Chapter 19: Chief Annenraes and the Iroquois Confederacy Declare War
- Chapter 20: Annahotaha and Mituvemeg--closing in on Dollard. Vital Space
- Chapter 21: The Carillon Rapids and Fear
- Chapter 22: Iroquois War Party Sets Out. Annenraes and Kepitinet.
- Chapter 23: Genuine Vipers. Annahotoha and Mituvemeg En Route to Help the French
- Chapter 24: A Short Rest on the River. April 29th.
- Chapter 25: Chute a Blondeau, Long Sault and a Scare. April 30th
- Chapter 26: The Cavalry Arrives! Annahotaha and Mituvemeg
- Chapter 27: War Stories
- Chapter 28: Iroquois Shooting the Rapid!
- Chapter 29: First Fight
- Chapter 30: 'Casee Kouee!'
- Chapter 31 One Shot. Silence.
- Chapter 32: The Battle, Day Four
- Chapter 33: Fake Peace and Mohawk Chief Agariata arrives with reinforcements
- Chapter 34: Flaming Arrows
- Chapter 35: Huron Defection
- Chapter 36: No Rules in This Game
- Chapter 37: People in Hell
- Chapter 38: The Battle Ends
- Chapter 39: The Day After the Battle
- Chapter 40: Louis Taondechoren