Chapter 7

Chapter 7: The Texas.
-----------------------------------------------------------

A faint ray of light seeps through the curtains an indication that its almost daybreak, but I remain on the bed. Finally, no Nkem, no Mother, no Gozie, nobody to hurt me anymore! The feeling is surreal, I never imagined this day would come.

I let my eyes remain closed as I bask in the peaceful feeling I'm enjoying right now. I didn't keep track of how long but it isn't long till I hear a knock on my door.

Knock! knock!! knock!!!

"Pip!" Nathan has been calling me pipsqueak for as long as I remember and let's just say I have my own special name for him too.

"Good morning Bozo!" I smile and head towards the door. I open the door to reveal a bored looking Nathan

"You called me Nathan yesterday! I thought you'd forgotten about that Bozo nonsense" he exhales heavily and does a facepalm to hide his small smile from me.

"The day I forget, is the day I forget your screaming at the top of your voice and running away from Bozo the clown at that fair" I laugh loudly

"Hmpf! Your breakfast will be ready in ten... Have your bath and do what other thing it is that you ladies do that takes ages before you leave your rooms" I stick my tongue out at him and he uses his fingers to demonstrate a scissor motion. In other words, he's gonna cut off my tongue.

I run off to the bathroom with a towel and woah did I need that bath. I hurriedly dress in a pair of jeans and a cute shirt I got from that pile of clothes I received earlier, packed up my virgin hair after raking it with a comb! FYI, virgin hair is hell!

I checked the time and I see I am about ten minutes late but what to do? I head to the kitchen.

"Wow! When I said ten, I was scared you thought I meant ten hours honestly! You females take a whole lot of time to get dressed I wasn't expecting you until tomorrow" I smack his hands as I try to contain my laughter.

"I don't blame you! And if you truly thought I would take it as ten 'hours' why are there plates on the table in twenty 'minutes' huh?"

"Aye, you got me there!" He winks and motions for me to have a seat at the table.

While he moved around the kitchen carefree I look around. The kitchen is a two-in-one set up. It has a dining table for four people at max in the center. The two windows were covered by thin yellow curtains and were placed over the sink and the gas cooker. So the kitchen was lit. No puns intended.

"Here!" The voice and the sound of the plate touching the glass table brought me back to Earth

Ooooh "I see fried egg, I see noodles and I see.....suya?"

I look up surprised! Suya is a Nigerian term for, should I say... Grilled beef? Yeah that! And its almost a way of life, heck, you could say its in the constitution that it should be prepared and eaten at night... How did he get this in the morning?

"I got some yesterday when you were sleeping but as I said you were sleeping so I ate some and left the rest in the fridge" he says like he read my mind.

I nod, pray and dig into the food. Best breakfast ever! Its been a long time since I was fed, I was always the one doing the feeding.

I did the dishes after. It was the least I could do because he did the cooking. I got to my room after a few catching up with Bozo.

I plugged my phone to charge earlier so I'd be able to organise it the way I want. I head to the bedside table where the phone was a Tecno K7 or Spark.