Chapter 4

Chapter 4: The Car-ride
----------------------------------------------------------

GOZIE’S POV

“When I gave her the bottle of water, I was just compelled to do that and I even needed the change. I had no idea we would be this connected? We go to the same school, she’s Nkem’s sister, somehow. I now she is in my head but I need her out of there, I have things I need to settle, she’s definitely not in my agenda Jesse! Are you there? Jesse?”

“What? I’m here GZ! Just wondering when you turned all sappy, soon you’ll become all poetic and Shakespearean on me” Jesse laughs at me, so much, I end the call!

Jesse and I have been friends since we were young. She lives in Texas and ever since I moved into the Estate at five, we’ve been inseparable. At a time, I thought I lost her, her mum died and her father hung himself. She went into depression and was admitted into a rehabilitation centre. She almost killed herself but I was there at the right time to stop her. I promised her that I’ll always be there for her but unfortunately, I’m breaking that promise right now.

My phone buzzes and I pick it up, it’s Jesse. “If you know you called me back to tease me some more, then you, my dear, should be leaving” I try really hard so that my voice would let her imagine my signature “SMOUT” that’s a pout and smirk together.

“OMG! GZ! I can just imagine the SMOUT on your face right now” she laughs. Whenever she did, it made me feel good. Like I made her laugh even with how messed up her life is. It felt good, almost like an accomplishment! Weird but true! Don’t judge!

“So, what’s up in your life these days?” “Well a certain friend of mine, if not the only, left me and went to his hometown and now, I’m in the 7th foster home…ugh!” she groans, I groan, two different reasons though.

“I told you I’ll be coming back, just let me fulfill everyone’s request and I’ll be ba-“. “And how long will that take 5years or even 7years! HOW DO YOU FRIGGIN’ WANT ME TO WAIT THAT LONG?” she starts shouting. She cuts me off first but then, she waits before talking again.

“I’m going crazy GZ! My foster parents, they are heartless! I don’t even go to school anymore” By now she was crying! I’m actually speechless, I never knew! “I’m sor-“ “you’re sorry? If you are really sorry, you will come back to me”

“Sorry Jess, I can’t! Not n-“and she ends the call. I don’t bother calling back! Ugh!

I get up from my bed, I need to get ready for school. School? I hate school! This school at least. I only look forward to leaving the moment I get there.

“Gozzy! Try to have a fun day at school!” she calls as I get to the door “Fun day?!” I spit and turn to look at her with the most eerie look I have. She shudders, good! “I won’t be trying or even going to this school, if it weren’t for you and your husband!” I finish and purposely slam the door shut.

I enter the car; I let it warm a while. Yes, I drive! Yes, I’m a bit rich or should I say my parents are filthy rich. They own a company called THE SAPPHIRE. The company deals in probably everything on earth. Agriculture, Provisions, Fashion, It’s my mum’s area of expertise. Even transport and building materials like cement and all! See, pretty much everything on earth.

I start the car and zoom off to school. “Bonjour, Monsieur Ladine!” One my first day in school, the reason I was late was because…

“Sir, do you have a problem?” I ask

“Yes, my car won’t start and I’m running late”

So I helped him with his car, having some basic knowledge on cars. My dad was already planning to add a car sector in the company.