Chapter 6

When Monday rolls, Phil is pissed at everything. He wants to throw his dumb shoes, he wants to drown the fishes that he saw at the pond on his way to his university, and basically he hates the world right now. He did great at teaching Dan, in fact he think he did a fabulous job at teaching the kid. It is Dan that has a brain damage for not thanking him. Maybe Phil did a bad thing about him, but god that was just a rumour! Or maybe Dan really took what he said seriously. When that thought hit Phil, he stopped walking and frowns at the ground. Damn sensitive kid.

“Phil!” He looks up and saw his friend Andy jogging up to him.

“What?” Phil shuffled his weight from his other leg to another, places his hands on the sling of his body bag. He kind of feels nervous at the moment.

“Mrs. Pond wants to see you. You know our department chair?”  Andy tugs at his shirt and look sheepishly at Phil, “Professor Brendan reported your attitude.”

Phil sighed and closed his eyes, “it’s eight in the morning and I have classes.”

“She said at your lunch.”

“Okay,” Phil mumbled. “Let’s go to our classroom, shall we?” Andy nodded but still he looks nervous as hell, “look, I am not going to include anybody else, especially you.” He smiles at him and Andy looks glad and he genuinely smiled back at Phil, “it’s all on me and you know it.”

Why would his friend be nervous? When he talked back to his professor it was his idea and no one else is involved. However Phil can’t concentrate in his class, his mind keep drifting on what Mrs. Pond would say to him. They’ve already talked about Phil’s attitude when he’s in second year and he promised to her that he would change, Hell he stopped picking at idiotic students who got accepted in this university by using only their money. God help him, he really doesn’t like stupid people rubbing their stupidity inside a respectable school.

And then there’s Dan, when Phil’s first class ended which is the class of his I’m the very best professor Brendan he checked his phone for nothing because he just felt like it and then he saw a message:

‘hey, phil. i’m sorry for what happened last friday. i got your number from thomas.
-dan’

Phil squinted his eyes, Dan should use proper capitalisations; Phil didn’t bother replying because he got someone up on his ass at the moment and Dan needs to fall in line. Phil went to Mrs. Pond’s office right after their professor dismissed them; of course his professor needs to smirk at him first before he goes out.

He cautiously knocks on the wooden door leading to her office and a soft voice said, “Come in.” Phil turned the knob slowly and peek his head first, when he spotted Mrs. Pond on her throne behind her desk, Phil went inside.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Pond,” Phil awkwardly stands in front of her and Mrs. Pond gestures for him to sit down on one of the swivel chairs, it’s Phil’s favourite type of chair.

“I think you know what we are going to talk about.” She smiles fondly at Phil, “you do realise that talking back harshly at a professor is not good, right?” Phil nods his head, “I know you’ve got your reasons Mr. Lester, but please, I have done so much to keep you here, it is a waste of talent if we kicked you out. In fact, you’re studying here for free; the only way you can do to pay back is to become a good student. Don’t go barking at some professors because they hate you.”

Phil want to sink down on his chair and be eaten alive, “yes, but it’s my right to defend myself when someone is insulting me.”

“True, very true, but still hold back and when you graduated and become successful more than them, I think that is enough to make them look up at you and believe me, they won’t leak any bad things about you through their mouth.” Phil smiles a little and nodded his head, “also, I am glad you aren’t picking fights anymore.” He froze and nodded his head again; he isn’t picking a fight with Dan, right?

“Thank you,” Mrs. Pond smiles, “you may go.” Phil stands up and quickly went to the door. At the back of his brain something is telling him that Mrs. Pond can read minds. Please no, that’s way too creepy to handle.

*

Dan is twirling his pen on his hand for about five minutes now and his seatmate is on the verge of cutting his left hand off. He sent Phil a message and Phil didn’t replied, even just a K or fuck off. He still have thirty minutes before Maths of Investment would end and Dan is literally bored out of his mind, he keeps staring at his book and whenever he found a quite large enough space to draw, he’ll draw something and that something is Phil. Dan wishes he had an extra blue pen to colour its eyes, because damn, Phil’s eyes are so blue that maybe Phil sacrifices ten box of cereal to something or someone to have that ocean like blue eyes.

“Stop tapping!” His seatmate whispered and Dan glances at his left hand.

“Sorry,” he mumbled and stares back at his book. He didn’t realise he is tapping his pen now.

Then Dan remembered Phil’s first attitude towards him and he wanted to punch Phil in the gut, maybe a red pen would be usable for a tail and horns for this majestic work of art he’s making on his freaking book. Perhaps Phil has personality disorder and he changes his attitude without anyone noticing. Wow, Dan that was a dumb deduction. Or maybe Phil really takes studying seriously that he didn’t care whether the person he’s teaching is an enemy.

Then his phone blast a loud, Stayin’ Alive tune and everybody in the classroom stares at him in shock. What? He likes Moriarity, there’s nothing wrong about that. “Umm… Excuse me?”

“Go. Just put it into silent next time.” His professor said and Dan went out of the classroom quickly whilst nodding.

“Hello?”

“Dan, meet me at the library in engineering building.”

“Now? No, I’m busy studying, because you know, I still have a class and I just excused myself to answer your call.”

“Idiot, of course after your classes for today,” if Dan can see Phil right now, he bet that Phil is rolling his eyes at him, “time?”

“Five-thirty. What? You’re expecting me to-” the line went dead and Dan grit his teeth. “What the fuck is wrong with him?!”