Chapter 16

They only held hands whenever they are alone, Phil is very affectionate towards Dan and Dan really likes it. However, it didn’t last long because Phil is reviewing for midterms and he doesn’t want anything to do with Dan at the moment, it greatly hurts Dan’s heart, but at least he got a kiss (actually just a little peck) on the lips before Phil surrounded himself with lectures and his classmates.

Dan is determined to study too because his boyfriend is doing his best, he smiled and chuckled. “Uh, Dan?” 

“What do you need beautiful young lady?” He smiled and Katie snorts.

“I hope you still remember about our departmental exam, I borrowed some reviewers from the other section, you can photocopy it if you want.” She paused and handed the papers to Dan, “step out of your dreamland for this hell week.”

“Don’t worry, my head is in the game.” 

“But your heart is not.”

*

Phil doesn’t have any idea if he’s doing this relationship thing right, he had dated several girls and whenever they broke up it is always his fault, ‘not spending time with them and always doing something’, that was always their reason, which he thinks is kind of selfish because to be honest he still wanted to study rather than do other things. Like dating.

Things still haven’t changed, he still prefers to study and he wanted to say that to Dan, because one day he might become one of those girls. His feelings for him isn’t made because of the heat of the moment, he genuinely like Dan. He closed his eyes, sighed and focused back on their lecture.

The bell rang and the students hurriedly shove their things inside their bag and zip it closed, their professor walked out with her materials without saying goodbye or anything. Lucy approached Phil and tapped him on the shoulder, “hey! So, how is it?”

It’s only been three days and Phil hasn’t informed anyone yet about his relationship status, “uhh, good I think.”

“What do you mean good? That is very brief!” Lucy exclaimed gaining the other students’ attention, Andy looked at them questioningly and he’s slowly walking towards their direction.

He grabbed her shoulder with one hand and glare at her, “shh, no one can know. Not yet.” He murmured, and Andy greeted them.

“Gossiping? It’s too early for that.”

Phil laughed and playfully punched Andy’s arm. “I know, let’s head to our next class.”

*

Dan is again the third wheel between Katie and Mark for lunch, “how long have you been dating? You two?” he wasn’t really nosy when it comes to other people’s personal life, but today he was really curious. Katie and Mark are really sweet towards each other, they review together, go home together or whatever possible things they can do together.

“3 years, high school sweethearts carrying the legacy forever.” Mark answered and he was pinched by Katie on the bridge of his nose, “what?”

Dan awed, “I’m a little bit jealous.”

“Don’t worry, you’re cute, I’m sure there is a guy out there waiting for you.” Katie said whilst leaning her head on Mark’s shoulder.

Dan’s phone rings, “excuse,” he stands up and went out of the busy canteen.

“Hello”

“Hi, miss you.” Dan leaned on the wall, “how’s studying?”

“It’s good, how about you?” It’s quiet on Phil’s line, there are no background noises.

“Honestly speaking, I can’t concentrate.” Dan chuckled, “I’m doing my best though.”

“Um, since it is Friday, can I come to your flat?”

“S-sure.” Dan’s heart quickens its beat.

“You don’t have to wait for me. I’ll go after my classes.”

“Okay.”

“Bye, see you later.”

Phil will only go to their flat, but Dan’s heart is beating fast and he was kind of very happy by thinking about it. There’s nothing unique about it, but Dan feels special.

*

“Who did you call?” Andy questioned

Phil sat back in his seat, “secret.” He answered and quietly laughed.

“You’re going to out yourself like that.” Lucy mumbled beside him, which in return Phil glared at her.

He can change his bad habits for the sake of not hurting Dan. Phil decided that to at least call him whenever they will not meet for a week or so, or go to their flat on Fridays or whenever he has a free time.  

It was quarter to seven when Phil arrived at their flat, he had changed from his uniform, “hello, good evening Thomas, sorry to interrupt this late at night.”

“It's okay, Dan’s in his room. You’re staying the night?” He yawned

“I already said that on the phone,” Phil rolled his eyes, “anyway, thanks for letting me.” Thomas walks inside and Phil followed.

“The couch or floor is open for whomever.”

“Hey, you said you’d let me use your guest room.” Phil halted and glared at Thomas.

“Kidding, yeah, use that. Make yourself at home.” He retreated back into his room.

Phil stopped in front of Dan’s room and knocked. Dan opened the door and immediately hugged Phil, “I thought you changed your mind.” He stares at Phil’s backpack, “what’s in there?”

“Um, actually, I’m staying.” Phil blushed, he didn’t do these things before and it’s kind of embarrassing.

“I- I don’t know that,” Dan fumbled on his jumper, “why don’t you place your things in your room first?”

Phil brushed Dan’s fringe to the side, “I’ll do that later. Let’s spend some time together for now.”

*

Dan’s room was a little messy today, his bed is occupied with his financial accounting book and worksheets, “I’m sorry about the mess, I didn’t notice I was wreaking havoc on my room.”

Phil placed his bag down and sat on the edge of Dan’s bed, “you want me to help you study?”

“Of course, yes. Let’s start with accounting first,” Dan sat also on his bed and rummage for his reviewer, “um, ask me some questions on the theory part and I’ll try to answer it correctly.”

Dan is nervous because right now, Phil is not acting as a normal Phil. He was so charming and sweet right now.

“Wait, before we start. I just want to say something,” Dan is sitting crossed leg on his bed. The mess of papers is stacked clumsily on his side. Phil moved in front of him, his right hand on Dan’s side and the other holding the reviewer, “I love you.”

He inched closer and kissed Dan, it was slow and passionate, Phil is holding Dan’s face with the both of his hands, the papers he is holding forgotten on their side. When they pulled out, Dan’s breathing was heavy and so does Phil.

“I love you more.” Dan answered. He hugs Phil and rests his head on his shoulder.