13 ❀ Stupid Coward

Start from the beginning

     That would go over really well.

     The ignoring of ones mate is seen as disgraceful, because it is. To deny such a gift is the highest form of blasphemy against the Moon Goddess. We have an eternal partner chosen for us, to throw it away is not acceptable.

     But I can't accept her.

     There is nothing wrong with Klepto. In fact, I'm already showing the signs of a meat-headed, overprotective, possessive mate. Every time someone even looks at my mate wrong I want to rip their head off with my teeth.

     I have never experienced bloodlust so strong until the day I met her, and I can't say I hate it if it keeps her safe.

     If anyone finds out that we're mates and I won't accept her, I can lose my job. My parents will despise me for bringing shame to the family name, and won't welcome me back home ever again, which I couldn't care less about. But everyone I know will despise me. My team mates, my boss, everyone. I would be an outcast.

     Just like she's an outcast now?

     I bite my lip. If everyone knew I rejected her, she would have an even harder time being accepted into her pack.

      That's my main reasoning for keeping it a secret. I can't make things worse for her. I can't.

     I shake my head so hard that it might actually detach from my neck.

     Before I can second guess myself, I grab the phone and dial the dreaded number of the Councilman. If nothing else can distract me from my gorgeous brunette mate, this will definitely get the job done.

     After the phone rings few times, someone finally picks it up. A grouchy voice greets me.

     "This is Cole." Is all he says, and I clench my jaw. The guy is a complete douchebag. I don't know who let him have so much power.

     "This is Ezra Blackmore, Councilman. I am calling to give my report on the Green Pack."

     There is a slight, heavy pause.

     "Yes, yes. Well, get on with it." He demands and I have to physically bite my tongue to keep from saying something I'll definitely come to regret later.

      "The Green Pack seems organized enough with their patrols. They have a nice schedule. We plan on helping a bit with training their wolves. They aren't prepared to fight very well at all." I take a deep breath before continuing, "No sign of rogues whatsoever. Not a peep in the forest, sir. Everything appears to be fine so far."

     Honestly, I'm holding back. I want to complain about the way the pack treats my mate, the way they regard their omegas as less than nothing. I knew it will get me nowhere, though.

     There are many shifters who considered omegas dirt beneath their feet, and there are no laws preventing the treatment against them. Physical torture is illegal, as it should be, but it's still hard watching living creatures treated with emotional and psychological abuse. No one deserves to be treated that way. Especially my mate.

     "Great. Sounds like you have everything taken care of." I bite my lip at his short answer.

     "I... How is the mission with Alpha Veiler going over?"  I ask, knowing it's not my place to ask, but doing it anyway. Jealousy boils underneath my skin like white hot fire ants trying to tear free, though I will never admit it.

     Veiler can end me with a snap of his fingers. Even I'm not immune to his terrifying power.

     A scratchy sigh sounds from the other end of the line, and I patiently wait for his answer.