2. RIVERA

We stood on the first step, waiting for our parents' carriage to arrive while ours pulled away toward the parking lot. Most parts of the ground within the palace's area were dark, but where there was light I could see fairy-people or carriages moving hither and thither. 

The fireworks boomed in the sky again, momentarily shedding red light on everything and everybody on the ground. I threw back my head just when another firework shot up and exploded forming a huge heart shape. The sight brought a smile to my face.  

"That must be our parents," said Horn, and I shifted my eyes toward the coming carriage. Indeed it was. The carriage stopped right in front of us, and out stepped Father followed by Uncle Jelly, Aunt Maxim and Mother. Father waved at the horseman and the carriage rolled away to park somewhere.  

"Are we waiting for someone?" said Mother, looking from me to Jewel. 

"No, I am not," said Jewel.  

"And I don't have any close friends worth waiting for," said I. It was true. I only hung out with Twitter most of the time. 

Mother cool expression turned worried. "Honey, we didn't know this." 

"Lots of young Citizens are coming here tonight," said Uncle Jelly to me. "You should befriend a few of them." 

"I'll try," said I.  

"But, apart from Jewel, no girls would speak to you," said Horn. "I mean, because of Prince Felix, all girls are turning against each other, and I guess parents don't have any idea about what's going on with their daughters. Your chances are only with the boys." 

"For your information, Horn, I'm cool with my pals," said Jewel. 

Mother beamed at her. "That's very good, dear."  

The firework boomed above us, showering us with red lights again that lasted for four seconds. I didn't look up this time. Neither did the others. 

"Let's walk in," Father instructed.  

The steps leading into the palace were crowded. I could see mostly young fairy-girls of my age walking about with an air of you-would-look-at-me-but-I-won't-look-back-at-you. We started ascending the steps with Twitter verbally counting the number of steps he put his feet on. 

Bright white light and the hubbub of party attendants were spilling out through the open doorway a few steps from the top. I glanced at two muscled fairy-guards standing on either side of the doorway, tucked the loose hair behind each of my ears and entered the palace. 

The view of the high ceilinged hall we got in took me by surprise. I had never seen a hall this huge anywhere before. It stretched as far as the eyes could see, and here and there and everywhere on the walls were the larger than life paintings of Prince Felix in gold frames. If only Wingland was advanced in technology and the camera had been invented, I could tell there would be less gossip and many more fairies posing with cameras in front of those paintings.  

"He looks so handsome," squealed Jewel, looking at the painting in which Prince Felix was seen riding a Pegasus. 

"I like all the paintings," I told Jewel. "Wonder who painted them." 

"Must be the royal painter," said Twitter.  

I looked down at my nephew. "I so want to know his name." 

"Sure, you do." 

Father and Uncle Jelly departed to meet their mates from their workplace, the Bank of Wingland. After that the rest of the members in our group commenced scattering around, leaving me and Twitter behind.