Chapter 5: Panic and Parents

Tony carried the unconscious kid up to the medical bay where Bruce was working.

"Why is there a kid here..?" Bruce asked in confusion.

Steve waved his hand in dismissal, "questions later, just fix him up."

"Lay him on the table," Bruce ordered. Tony obeyed, but refused to leave the adolescents side.

"He'll be fine once I've seen the extent of his injuries." Bruce reassured Tony as he took the boy's faded t-shirt off. The sight of his chest made Tony shudder

Numerous scars, cuts and bruises covered his pale exterior. He was so thin, Tony could easily count his ribs, but that's not what made him gag. Across his chest the words "PROPERTY OF HYDRA" had been cut into his skin, leaving scars that would never fade. On his waist, "#2749" was cut into him, still red and raw.

"Do you think he's a weapon?" Bruce asked as he applied a bandage to the cut on the boy's forehead.

"I don't know, either HYDRA was training him to be a weapon or he has some sort of powers." Tony sighed.

Steve frowned, biting his lip, "poor kid..."

Tony turned away from the young boy and walked over to the coffee machine, "how long until he wakes up?"

"Not long, maybe half an hour?" Bruce replied.

As Tony turned back to face them, the boy suddenly sat up, breathing heavily. He looked around, and Tony saw the panic begin to set in as he saw where he was.

Tony walked over to him and placed his hand on his shoulder, "Hey kid, you're okay, you're safe here." The boy flinched away at his touch and looked up at him, clearly terrified.

"We're not gonna hurt you okay? We're just making sure you're not hurt alright?" Tony told him carefully. The boy slowly nodded, beginning to calm down although his eyes were scanning the room.

"What's your name?" Bruce asked him cautiously.

"Peter Parker..." The small boy answered after a few moments.

"Okay Peter, how old are you?" Tony asked him.

Peter glanced at Bruce who nodded before he answered, "I'm-uh, I don't really know? Fifteen I think?"

Surprise was evident on both Steve and Tony's face, how could he not know his age? He couldn't be fifteen, he was so small and fragile.

"Where are your parents?" Tony asked, ignoring the glare Steve sent him.

"They're dead." Peter replied simply. Tony frowned and shared a look with Bruce.

"Are you going to make me go back?" Peter suddenly asked.

Steve frowned, "back to the orphanage?"

"No," Peter said, shaking his head. "Back to Hydra."

"Back to...why on Earth would we send you there?" Bruce asked in confusion.

"Ms. Riley said I was going to have to go back," Peter answered as though it was obvious.

"Ms. Riley?" Tony asked, "bleached hair, way too much fake tan?" Peter nodded. "No, you're not going back there ever again okay Pete?"

"Then...where am I going?" Peter asked, "to the orphanage?"

Tony glanced at Steve, "no" he said, "you're going to be staying with us."