Chapter 18: Torture and Tracking

Peter's PoV

Peter groaned when he woke up. A sharp pain shooting up his back and arm. He blindly reached an arm up to his neck, only to find a thick metal band wrapped around it.

He tugged experimentally on it, ripping his hands away when a wave of electrical current shot through the collar.

"I wouldn't try that if I was you," a voice said from the corner of the room and Peter turned to face the voice.

"Electrocution collar, commonly used on dogs but it suits you just fine." The man wore a suit and black framed glasses. His hair was slicked to the side in a formal attempt. "The handcuffs are ability dampeners so your strength won't work. None of your so-called 'powers' will work."

"Who are you?" Peter asked quietly, "what's going on? Where's Tony?"

The man leans against the wall, "that's none of your concern child. But I think you ask too many questions." He pulled out a switch blade and held it to Peter's cheek. "Let's set some rules shall we?"

Tony's PoV

It had been a week since Peter had gone missing and Tony was losing his mind.

"Friday, pull up the security footage for me again," he muttered to his A.I, his hands clenching into fists.

"Sir," Friday said, sounding hesitant. "You've watched the footage thirty-seven times. I don't believe you will find anything new."

Tony slammed his fists onto his desk, startling Steve who was next to him. "I just- I have to find him. I must have missed something, there's got to be something I've missed right?"

Steve gently placed his arm around Tony's shoulders, "we're going to find him Tony. But I don't think watching that footage again is going to help, you need to take a break. Have a shower, something to eat. You're not going to be able to find Peter in this state."

Tony hid his face in Steve's shoulder, "I can't lose him Steve. I just can't. There's no signals anywhere, there's nothing anywhere."

Natasha glanced up suddenly from where she was furiously typing at a computer, "Tony, Steve. You need to see this."

The duo quickly stood and moved to stand behind Natasha. An unknown number was attempting to FaceTime them. Steve quickly pressed accept and his breath hitched at the pixelated video.

It was Peter. Countless cuts covered his face, blood dripping down his cheek. He was trembling, clearly petrified. A thick collar was tight against his throat, and shackles around his wrists.

A voice was heard from behind the camera, "say hello to Tony, kid! Why don't you ask him about his day huh? Maybe he wants you to go see him. Isn't that right Stark?" The voice was cheerful. Mocking. Taunting.

"Mr Stark?" Peter whispered nervously, "is-is he coming? Can I go home now?"

The voice laughed, "oh no. We're not quite done with you yet kiddo, we still need to sort out the rules don't we? Should we go for another round with the collar?"

Peter's eyes widen with fear and his breathing shortness. "No, no please. I'll be good, I promise. I'll be good. Not again. Please, please don't."

"Don't you dare touch him," Tony growls, silently gesturing for Natasha to trace the call. "He's just a kid."

"Oh but that's where you're wrong, Stark. He's a freak. He's not even human." A large tank of water has been pulled into view of the camera.  "I'm sure you noticed during his short stay with you. He's not like you or me. He's got abilities. Powers if you'd like to call him."

Peter is forced onto his knees, falling submissive too quickly. "Get your hands off him or we'll kill you," Steve threatens, clenching his teeth.

Another laugh echoes around the lab. "Can't kill me if you don't even know where we are do you? I know you're tracing this call Stark. I'm not an idiot." Tony suddenly realise who the voice belongs to as a man walks into view on the screen.

"I'm sure you remember me don't you Tony?" Justin Hammer grins. "Peter here does. Or, he will." He grips the back of Peter's head and forces into the tank, submerging his head in the liquid.

"GET OFF HIM!" Tony yells, his face red with anger.

Hammer laughs as Peter tries in vain to pull his head out of the tank. "Don't worry Stark, this won't even hurt him. At least not physically." He gestures with his free hand to the tank. "This isn't water. In fact, this is a lovely little substance called perfluorocarbon. Plenty of oxygen in it to breathe so our little experiment here won't die. He just thinks he is."

Natasha freezes at the name of the substance. She'd been subjected to it when she was in the Red Room. It feels like drowning. Forcing liquid into lungs for extended periods of time before suddenly being pulled out. The transition from liquid to air both terrifying and painful.

"How long should we leave him on there for?" Justin grins evilly, "until he passes out? You see, he relies on his senses, and he can't see anything while he's in there. He can't see or hear anything. The subject thinks he's dying. He doesn't understand. And he won't." Hammer pulls Peter violently out of the substance.

Peter's sobbing, desperately trying to push Justin away and to get away from the tank. His curls are plastered to his face, his breathing ragged.

Tony reaches a hand up to the screen, wishing more than anything that he could hold Peter. "We're coming kid, don't worry. We're going to get you back."

The shaking boy whines pitifully before a harsh punch to his jaw sends his head slamming into the wall. Blood ran down his face, matting his curls as he curls up.

Justin smirks, "good luck Stark." The video cuts off.

Natasha looks up from the computer, "I've got a location."