Chapter Eighteen

(Caroline’s P.O.V.)

Louis and Deirdre barely spoke to anyone since Allie and Niall had been taken. It had been four days since Donny had announced he’d hurt them every day, and I didn’t want to think about their condition. We had been working hard 24/7 to figure out a plan, but it wasn’t the easiest thing in the world.

I had taken to writing things down on paper, looking it over, and balling them up and throwing them away. I finally got so frustrated I just scribbed hard, ripping up the paper. Then I took the notebook and tore it in half and threw it at the wall.

I felt hands wrap around my waist and Zayn pressed his lips to my neck. “Calm down, babe, we’ll figure this out,” he whispered. I stood up angrily and faced him, throwing his hands off me.

“Calm down?” I shouted. “You want me to calm down while my best friend and you’re best friend are off in God knows where getting tortured every day? Are you fucking crazy?”

“No, but you might be,” he mumbled. I glared at him and stormed out of the room. “I’m sorry, Caroilne.

“Whatever. Just leave me alone for an hour or two, okay? I need to think,” I said angrily. He let me go and I walked right out the front door, slamming it hard behind me. But I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw that the house was surrounded by about twenty men in black, all with guns pointing at me.

“SHIT!” I shouted. I ran back inside, knowing they’d be close behind. “WE’RE SURROUNDED GET READY!”

Everyone looked at me like I was crazy as I ran through the house searching for my gun. “Caroline, what are you talking about?”

“ARM YOURSELVES!” I shouted. I found my gun and loaded it as the front door was busted down and men started filing in.

I shot at the first few men and I was sure I killed one. There was a scream from upstairs and I knew they had come through the windows and the roof. Everyone else was scrambling around to find their weapons or hide.

I ducked down behind the kitchen counter as a bullet flew right where my head as been and blew off some of the tiles on the kitchen wall. I peeked out from the side to see a gun aimed straight at my face.

I squealed and went back behind the counter as they shot at me again. I breathed deeply, trying to stop the blood pumping in my ears. It was loud and distracting me. I had been trained not to fear. I could do this.

I jumped up and slid across the counter (like a boos) and slammed my body into one of the men. I was on top of him but he smacked my nose with the butt of his gun. I felt blood flowing from my nose and I kneed the man beneath me in the balls.

He shouted in pain and screwed up his face. I put my forearm to his neck, pinning him to the ground and kicked the gun out of his hand. His face was going red.

“Where are they?” I snarled, ignoring the fighting around me. He coughed.

“I’ll die before I tell you anything,” he spat.

“You really think I’m going to kill you? You must be new,” I said sweetly. I brought my gun to his shoulder and cocked it. “I’m going to count to three. Either you’ll tell me what you know, or I’ll shoot. And we’ll start this all over again.”

His eyes went wide and I sighed. “One.”

He tried to squirm out of my grip. “Two.”

His legs were kicking around everywhere, but I him right where I wanted him. “Three,” I hissed. I pulled the trigger and he screamed in pain as the bullet shot through his shoulder, cracking bone. He cried for a while, but I didn’t let go. His shoulder was bleeding through his shirt and I averted my eyes. It was pretty gross.