I took in this hotel. It wasn't luxurious, but it wasn't a piece of crap either. Dimitri and Chris were getting the bags out of the car, while I went to check us in. I checked us in under the last name of Melrose, seeing as we're all supposed to be on a family vacation. Just in case they checked. The woman--Susan--behind the desk gave me the room keys, right when Dimitri and the others walked in. I swear that woman didn't take her eyes of him. And, Dimitri was very aware. In fact, he looked worried. He rushed past me, and so did the others. Then, Susan looked at me with terror.

"Stay away from him" she hissed

"Excuse me? I'm not handing him over to you" I informed

"That's not what it is. He's... this is going to soud really awful" she took a deep breath. "A vampire. I swear Ms. Melrose. Almost two years ago, I went to Russia with a few friends. He... he... took me. A man saved me. I don't remember his name. But, you have to stay away from him. Please. He killed my best friend"

My eyes went wide. She saw him as a Strigoi. My breath caught in my throat. My mind was reeling. I wanted to ask so may questions, but I couldn't. I had to hide our secret. Dimitri's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I turned toward him, and saw Susan backing up slowly. He gave me a confused look, and picked up Erik. I saw Susan flinch, but stayed where she was. I looked back toward her, fearing her mental state. She could go into shock any moment now.

"Rose, are you coming?" he asked me

"Take Andre. I'll catch up with you"

"What's going--"

I cut him off. "Dimitri. Go"

He walked off with the kids, and I rushed behind the counter. She was totally freaked out. I told her to hold on while I ran up to the hotel room. I knew I would be faster running up the steps, so I took the stairs. When I reached the room, I swiped the key, and rushed in. Sydney was sitting on the couch next to Adrian. I walked over to her, very aware of Dimitri in the room. I bent down, so that I could whisper in her ear.

"Sydney, I need your help"

"With what?" she whispered back

"Alchemist business"

She groaned, and got up. Adrian insisted on coming, but I told him no. I didn't want him getting involved. But, seeing as he's Adrian, he didn't listen. It was no use arguing. Just before I walked out the door, I turned around and saw Dimitri looking worried. I walked over to him, and kissed his cheek.

"Nothing to worry about, comrade" I teased

"Then, tell me what's going on"

"Alchemist business" He reached in his pocket, and pulled out his stake. "No, no. Not that kind of business. Just trust me?"

"I always trust you, Roza"

I smiled, and ran after Sydney and Adrian. They took the elevator, so I beat them down to the lobby. Sydney sighed when she saw he assignment. She walked up to counter, but I stood behind, keeping watch for any lurking figures. None so far. I had this weird feeling of someone watching, though. I turned around for a second to see if anything was behind me. Just a fake plant.... and a shadow against the wall. I turned back around, grateful that Sydney and Adrian were still there. I walked over to them, hearing the end of their conversation. Adrian had to use compulsion. Wonderful.

Susan blinked her eyes, utterly confused. She turned to me. "Can I help you, Ms. Melrose?"

"Um, I was wondering if I could get another room key?" We needed more anyways

She nodded, and created one for us. She frowned at the computer when it stopped. The lights above us flickered on and off. It was like a scene from a horror movie. I shifted my eyes up toward the light. It shut off. Then, the next one shut off. Then, another. Then, another, until all the lights were out. But, my dhampir eyes could still see clearly enough. Adrian's eyesight was probably better. Sydney must be blinded.

Within a second, I had my stake out, and heard a scream from behind the counter. Then, one much closer to me at the same time. Sydney. I turned around, and saw a Strigoi holding Sydney by the neck. I pushed Adrian behid me, and saw Sydney smile. Did he bite her? No. He didn't. She mumbled something, and he went flying into the wall. I ran pushed both of them towards the stairs, hoping there were no Strigoi blocking the exit. When we made it to our floor, I screamed Dimitri's name. He was in the hallway in a second. I heard footsteps behind me, and turned, holding my stake up.

"Get them in the room!" I yelled to Dimitri

The Strigoi swung at me, but I managed to dodge it. Sort of. He hit me near my ribs, and I heard a weird crack. I cried out in pain, and swung at him with my stake. I created a cut across his arm, and he flinched, giving me the opening I needed. I plunged my stake into his chest, and he crumpled to the ground. There was another one coming at me. She opened her mouth, showing me her fangs, and lunged for me. I ducked, and she flew over me. The maneuver pulled at my chest, making me cry out in pain again. He must've broken one of my ribs. Damn it. She came at me again, and I tried to ignore pain. She grabbed my arm, and pushed me against the wall. I slid down, not able to feel my body. I was going to die, wasn't I? I've cheated death so many times, and I knew I wouldn't be able to do that again. 

I closed my eyes, thinking about Erik, Dimitri, and Lissa. I heard a grunt, and opened my eyes. Dimitri killed her. I breathed a sigh of relief, but doing that brought back the pain. Dimitri kneeled beside me, stroking my hair.

"Roza, what happened?" he asked, worried

"He... I think... he broke... one... of my... ribs" I gasped

He ran his hand along my ribs, poking and proding. When his hand touched one of my right ribs, I let out a cry of pain. He, gently, picked me up, but it still caused a shoot of pain. He kicked open the door, and laid me down on the bed. My mother and Lissa followed us into the room, knowing I was hurt. Lissa kept asking what happened, but Dimitri was too worried about me to answer her. I turned to her.

"The... Strigoi... broke... my rib" It hurt so much to even talk

She put her hand over my rib, and I tried to push her away. She shouldn't waste her magic on me. I'll probably heal. But, I couldn't push her away. She closed her eyes, and I expected to have that hot-cold feeling that I got whenever she healed me. But, that feeling never came. I looked at her, worried. Dimitri turned to her, asking why I wasn't better yet. She had no clue what was happening.

"Rose, can you block me from the magic?" Lissa asked me

"I... don't... think so"

She looked at Dimitri. "Are you sure it was this rib?"

"Does it matter?" he asked

"Yes. I'm focusing all my magic toward this area" she explained

Dimitri tested my other ribs, and nodded. Then, his hand moved toward my stomach... and, I felt like I was being torn in half.