CHAPTER 17 : THE PHONECALL

CHAPTER 17 – THE PHONECALL

Edward pressed the green phone button and put the phone up to his ear. The phone rang twice before we all heard Aro’s cheery voice on the other end.   He always sounded cheery and it was hard to tell if he put it on or not.

“Caius my brother.  How are you?  How is your errand going?  When will you get back here?” he queried.

“There seems to be some kind of a mistake.  You see, this isn’t Caius and he is on no good errand.  Do you know exactly what he is doing?” Edward answered. I could see that it was difficult for him to keep his anger in, even though Aro had done nothing wrong.

“Edward?  Is that you?  Edward Cullen?” Aro gasped.

“Yes and my family.  Can you answer my question?” Edward said through his teeth.

“He’s on an errand” Aro replied innocently.

“Yes, his own personal errand maybe.  Do you know anything about this errand?” Edward questioned.

“No, he was in a hurry so I couldn’t ask.  Has something happened?  Is he all right?  Why have you got his phone?” Aro was firing questions just like Edward.

“Yes something has happened but not to him.  Maybe you would like the full story.” Edward took the phone away from his ear and handed it back to Joham.

“What?  What is going on?” Aro barked from the other end of the phone.

“Hello Aro. Do you remember me? Joham?” He paused.

“Joham?  Why are you speaking?  Someone please tell me what’s going on!” Aro demanded.

“Let me explain.” Joham paused again as if he was asking for permission from Aro to explain.

“I’m listening” I heard Aro say.  Joham must have realised we wanted to hear, so he made it easier for all of us and put it on speaker.

“Okay.  It all started when I picked the phone up to an unknown number.  They had kept calling and calling and it was annoying me a lot.  Turns out it was your brother Caius, with Jane, Alec, Felix, Renata and the new member.  They had a request for me and if I didn’t do it they would kill me and my kids.”

I heard Aro take a sharp intake of breath in shock.  This was not what he had been expecting.  I heard a set of faint footsteps approach Aro.  They were quickly followed by another.  I could tell they were getting closer as they became louder every step.  This vampire hearing couldn’t miss anything.

“What was the request?” Aro asked quietly, still stunned from the last information.

“Well overall he wanted revenge on the Cullens for last year.  He sent me to spy on them first before he came up with his own plan; to hurt their daughter.  I refused so many times until I came up with my own plan to save them.  After I did I had to accept. 

“But how could he do that?  He told me he respected my decision and he would leave them alone.  Why did he do this?” Aro started firing questions again.

“He lied.  He told me he felt betrayed and he thought more of you” Joham answered softly.

“I knew I shouldn’t have trusted him.  I should have touched his hand before he left” – he sighed – “I guess it’s my fault in a way.  What can I do to help?”

“It’s not your fault.  Don’t blame yourself Aro.  You couldn’t have prevented this.  Everything will be fine when we find them.  As long as they will be unharmed.  Will you forgive us if six of your Volturi are......killed today?” I interrupted.

“Oh.  Hello Bella. I am so sorry for all of this.  I think they deserve to be killed.  They have brought shame to the Volturi.  Do you know where they are?  Anyone?  I assume I’m on speaker.” Aro didn’t expect to hear me obviously, and when he did hear me he instantly guessed he was on speaker.

“No.  I delivered the children then came straight here.  They could be anywhere.” Joham sighed.

“Where are you currently?” Aro asked.

Zafrina spoke this time.  “It’s in the middle of the Amazon forest.  Quite a large house called The Old Apple.  It’s the only one in the Amazon.”

“Demetri, Marcus and I will be with you by morning.”  With that he ended the call.