Jealousy

What? Did I hear her right? Stunning?

Blake felt the heat rising into her cheeks, coloring them light pink. She had been staring out of the window for a while now not knowing what to do. She wanted to turn her head and ask Hayley if she was just hearing things. She was at a loss as to what she should do in this situation. Her expression remained calm and expressionless with only the pale pink complexion of her cheeks betraying her inner thoughts. Inside Blake was a mess of thoughts spiraling out of control.

She said I am stunning... Wait, what if she wasn't talking about me. Maybe, maybe, maybe... Maybe she was talking about the shop. I mean the tiled floors are really nice and the seats are nice and cushioned. And and and and the... the tables, yes the tables. They are gorgeous... Who am I kidding, she was probably talking about me right? Unless, unless she was talking about the waitress who was just here.

The expression on Blake's face darkened as the thought crossed her mind.

I mean she is kind of cute I guess. The way her ponytail swayed as she walked and the way she looked in her yellow uniform. Still, I bet she can't compare to me. I'm definitely prettier... Aghh, what's gotten into me? I'm sorry pretty waitress, but since when did I care about her so much? I mean I just feel guilty that my friends are so mean to her. That's all right? Yeah I don't care that much. But my heart was jumping for joy when I thought she was talking about me. How could she be talking about you? You haven't done anything for her. In fact you just let your friends talk shit about her over and over. Sigh, I shouldn't think about this too much. It's guilt, it's guilt, it's just guilt... Who am I kidding I have to know what she meant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayley's face reddened the moment she realized she said it out loud. She buried her face into hands and silently screamed at herself for getting caught up in the moment. She was too embarrassed to look up and missed the faint blush in Blake's face. She just wanted to hide herself somewhere away from Blake.

Before she could compose herself, she heard Blake's melodious voice enter her ears.

"Soooo, do you think the waitress is cute?"

"What?" Hayley brought her eyes to meet Blake's, utterly confused and bewildered by what she just heard.

Blake coughed a little and asked, "Do you think she's cute?"

So I heard her correctly the first time. Does that mean she didn't hear what I said earlier? Or did she actually hear me and just wanted to break the silence by talking about something else? Is this her way of saying that she doesn't want my compliments? Maybe she brought me out here to check out girls together? Wait, no she's straight isn't she? ... Well, I can't assume that. Wait... if she actually does like girls... Then did she bring me here to be her wingwoman to help her get together with the waitress?

"Yeah... I guess so," she nervously answered as disappointment began to swirl around in her head.