Please Tell Me I Didnt Wake Up in a "Law and Order" Episode

Chapter 3

I am drowning.

I try to keep myself above the waves, but I cannot keep the water from filling my lungs. The pain it causes is horrible. Sometimes I hear things- a voice as I dip under the surface yet again. But I dont understand it or recognize it.

Once again I am pulled under. And this time, Im not sure if I can resurface. How long have I wanted to die? A while. So why was I fighting so hard? I didnt have an answer. I thought of the cashier who had been shot in front of me. What was his life like? His family? He surely didnt want to die. Of course, he wasnt living a life of ease (he was working at an AM PM after all) but he was working to stay alive. I needed to stay alive, for him. To see why the man had killed him.

And with that, I broke free.

***

Cold.

Everything I touch is cold. From the air to the floor. Am I wearing any clothes? The word rape passes in my mind, and I shiver. I would much rather die than be raped.

I move my thumb along my wrist and feel lace fabric. I am still wearing the same dress I was at the party. God, that feels like ages ago.

I open my eyes one at a time, hoping my attacker isnt around. Maybe he left me?

I am met with what looks like a basement ceiling. I turn my head slightly and see that I was correct. I am lying on the floor in a dark basement. Great.

I slowly stand up, confident no one is around. My head throbs even worse than before, and I let out a small shreik.

I almost step on the cardboard box of Aleeve I had bought, which was about two feet away from where I was laid. Next to it sits a bottle of water.

I grab the box and examine it. It still has the cellophane wrapping around it. I become confident that it hasnt been tampered with. Plus, my head hurts like a motherfucker.

I also grab the bottle and hear the soft click of the seal breaking. I rip open the wrapping and open the box, shaking two pills into my hand. I throw them in my mouth, take a swig of water, and tilt my head back. They fall down my throat, and I let out a sigh. They wont start working for another half hour, but at least the light at the end of the tunnel is near.

I begin to slowly walk around the basement. There are a couple of cardboards boxes stacked up against one wall. Besides that, the room is empty. My eye catches a small window.

I instantly run to the boxes and push one of them over to the window. It is heavy, and feels like it could be filled with glass plates. I stand on top of it and realize I still cant reach the window. So I go and grab another box; this one is equally as heavy. I haul the box over to the other. I begin to lift it.

"Ahem." a voice behind me says. The box falls to the floor and I jump back. The same man from before stands in the middle of the basement, this time in black jeans and a black t-shirt. This guy could really use some color in his wardrobe.

I back against the wall as he moves towards me. His eyes are piercing. At the last moment, he shifts direction and steps onto the box. I let out a breath I didnt realize I was holding in. He bangs against the window repeatedly, and it doesnt budge. He climbs back down the boxes and walks away from me until he is about 3 yards away, and turns to face me.

"Sorry. Im afriad that I wouldnt waste all that time just to have you crawl out the window, dear." he says and smiles. Its then that I notice my entire body is trembling.

He notices too, and he just smiles wider.

"Whats your name?" he asks me, searching my face. My eyes begin to fill with tears, and in an effort to stop myself from crying, I look into the lone lightbulb thats hanging from the ceiling.

The man puts his hands in his pockets and shuffles his feet. "Sorry, usually I wouldnt have to ask, but you dont have an ID in your purse. Or a student ID, for that matter."

Two thoughts fly through my head at the same time. First of all, he looked through my purse? Im a bit surprised at his indeceny but then I guess, kidnapping is indecent too. The next is- should I tell him the truth? What would he try to do with the information?

"You're debating whether to tell me or not." he states. It isnt a question so I dont respond.

I figure the safest way to go is by just telling him my first name. So I do.

He wrinkles his nose. "Christine? Please tell me you dont have people call you Christy." he laughs and gazes at me sideways, like he is looking for approval.

I look at him in silent shock. This man has murdered and kidnapped. He knows Im scared out of my wits, so the joke could be to calm me down. Or- or what?

Or maybe he is alone.

Driven by loneliness to kidnap? To force someone to keep you company? The thought makes my stomach churn.

I realize that he is still looking at me sideways, and I have been staring at him for quite some time.

"No, everyone calls me Chris." I try to make my voice sound strong, but it cracks in the middle of Chris. He smiles at this, not trying to hide how happy my terror is making him.

"Good, good. Well Chris," he pauses and claps his hands together, "we are going to have a marvelous time together."

He turns around and walks into the shadows in the corner farthest away from me. I squint my eyes and make out what seems to be a staircase. He pauses at the base of the stairs and turns around.

"Oh! I almost forgot!" he says and swings his arm dramatically. "How rude of me! My name Gerard Way. And I hope you find the basement to your liking." He says it like he just showed me my luxury hotel room or something.

I slide down the wall and try desperately not to cry.

__________________________

I would like to apologize.

I havent updated in a month, and Im so sorry.

I dont have any excuses- but I am going to try to be more regular with my updates from here on out.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you are enjoying the story.

keep it ugly

- Siren