I Despise People and Parties

Chapter 1

The day was my type of day. New Jersey isnt known for its gorgeous weather, especially in February. But, I love cloudy days more than I will ever love clear ones.

I walk to school, basking in the haze of fog. Some girls pass me who obviously dont care much about the weather. They are wearing shorts and frisky little tops to show off their bodies. God, even in the middle of winter some girls still dress like whores.

I am wearing my usual: skinny jeans, my navy blue hoodie, and my always- faithful high tops. My raven hair is pulled back in a ponytail, and I even took a little time to put on eyeliner and mascara this morning.

As I walk into school, I feel

someone tug on my backpack. My first instinct is to punch them; my second is to run. But I then feel his arms around me, as safe as ever.

"Brendon." I breathe his name.

"Hey Chris!" He smiles that winning smile of his, and I have no choice but to smile back.

He falls in pace next to me. We say nothing, but it isnt awkward. We occasionally bump into each other as we walk down the hallway.

He breaks the silence first.

"Hey, there is a party tonight to celebrate Varsity basketball getting to the championships."

For some reason all the popular boys are on the basketball team at my school, instead of the football team. Brendon included. He is a good enough player to make Varsity his sophmore year, but not good enough to play in college. He is too short, and not quick enough. But still, he loves to play, and I love to support him.

"Yeah, and?" I say.

He stops and looks at me.

"What?" I ask him.

"Sometimes you are so oblivious. I want you to come, of course." He bumps into me again as he says the last few words.

I bump into him, harder.

"I dont do parties."

He throws his hands up in the air so that the bracelets that somehow always are on his wrists fall down his arms a bit. "You have never been to one! So how would you know?"

I mutter "Too many people." under my breath, not really meaning for him to hear me, but he does.

"C'mon Chris. I have been asking you to come with me to a party all year. It is going to be a good, clean party-"

"Sounds like a lot of fun." I interrupt.

"and I will be there the whole time with you." he finishes. "If you want to leave, I will take you home. But please, just once, come with me." he says, exasperated.

I contemplate the pros and cons of going. Cons- I am not very good with people. I also dont really like people. But, Brendon wants me to support him. He has supported me and been there for me throughout everything, surely I owe him a couple of hours out of my comfort zone. Plus, he can drive and take me home whenever.

"Fine," I say as the warning bell rings. "I will go with you."

~

I look at myself in the mirror. My hair and makeup are the same as this morning, but I am now wearing one of the few dresses I own. Its black, and stops just above the knee. The long sleeves are lace, and it is tight around my stomach, showing off my little figure. I turn away before I decide to change back. I kept on my high tops for comfort.

I look at the digital clock thats on the nightstand in my small room. It reads 6:48. Brendon is supposed to be here in 12 minutes, and my father got off work over 2 hours ago. Which means he is most likely at Maureen's again, the local bar.

For the first time today I'm glad I am going to the party, only so I wont have to be home when he gets here.

I leave my room and sit on the sofa in the living room, waiting. At precisely 6:58 I hear a knock on the apartment door. I fling it open, and Brendon smiles.

"You look absolutely marvelous Christine." he says in a mock British accent.

I playfully punch him in the arm, and he loops his arm around mine. He walks me to the car and opens my door for me. I get in, and he quickly runs around and climbs into the driver seat. He looks over at me before he starts the car.

"God, I love you." he grins.

I giggle, and he starts driving, but his words echo in my ears. Recently I was wondering what our friendship was becoming. And I didnt know what to make of his words. He has never had a serious relationship, and needless to say, I havent either. Everyone at my school besides Brendon is a bitch. Sometimes, I bump into someone who isnt that bad, but still, the majority of them are class A assholes. I never really enjoy the idea of marriage anyways. If I continue on the road I am on, I am probably not going make it to 30. But, if I had to imagine myself with someone, it was easily Brendon.

We had kissed before, twice.

The first time, it was a stupid dare in elementary school, when I still had other friends. But the second time was when I had shown up at his house last year after my father came home drunker than Dionysus and threw a beer bottle at my head. He missed, but it scared the shit out of me. I ran out the door and four blocks to Brendon's house. He opened the door to me crying, and he held me until I stopped. Sometime during that, he kissed me, and I ended up staying at the Urie's house for the next two weeks. Brendon's parents are great, and I love them more than my own.

Yes, if I have to grow old with someone, it will definetly be Brendon Urie.

~

We arrive at the party around 7:30 because it is across town from where we live. The house is a large two- story in a classy neighborhood. I can already tell that its not going to be a "good,

clean party". I shoot Brendon a look as we pull up, and he mumbles an apology.

He grabs my hand and pulls me up the walkway. I pass a girl who is dressed for summer and smells of booze, and I scoff. Great.

Brendon doesnt let go of my hand, and when I decline a beer, he does too. He pulls me through the bottom floor and introduces me to the host, a senior named Andy.

He has a full arm sleeve of tatoos on one arm, and the other he has a couple of batman- related tatoos. His eyes are a startling blue and his lip ring shines in the flashing lights.

"Nice to meet you Chris!" he yells over the shitty ass music someone decided to play.

"You too! But why are you playing Pitbull?!" I yell back, trying to be nice and make conversation. Apparently, it works, because he laughs.

"Well, I have been told The Smiths arent good for dancing music!"

"What the hell was that person on?"

Andy just laughs at that. "Brendon, why havent you introduced me to Chris sooner?! She's great!" he says.

Brendon smiles, and I hear someone yell "Biersack!"

Andy looks around and says, "Ah, duty calls my friends." He turns to me and says, "Pleasure meeting you Chris!" before disappearing past bodies in the direction the voice had come from.

I hear him yell something along the lines of: "Thats an antique vase! Not a place to puke!"

Brendon lets out a pfft laugh, and I do too.

"See, is this so bad?" he asks me.

It is a bit claustrophobic in the room we are standing in; plus the terrible music they are playing, but that is it.

"No, I guess it isnt."

He grins at me, and pulls me to the area where teenagers are dancing. If you call rubbing bodies togethet dancing, that is. He just sort of jumps around next to me, and I do the same. I am having fun though, more fun than I have had in a long time.

A voice yells over the music, "We're crashing this goddamn highschool party!" People start to cheer, and I look at Brendon, worried. He just smiles at me again, but I cant fight the unease growing in my stomach.

~