Chapter 7

Sunday morning dawned crisp and clear. Daniel and Jesse were among the last to enter.

As of this morning, Daniel was glad for Emma's insistence on keeping her suspicion of Roses nearby between the two of them. He was awfully stiff and his healing wounds ached every time he moved.

"Thank you all for being here this morning," Pastor Davis greeted as the last few took their seats.

Daniel had a hard time listening to the sermon. It wasn't that the pastor had a less than important message, it was just that this was the first time in a while he had attended a service. He found himself often distracted by the other church goers.

Children shifted impatiently in their seats. Mothers shushed and broke up quiet squabbles. He recognized the owner of the livery and the Blacksmith and his family. Alison Bird, the banker's daughter who had all but attacked him in the café the day before, sat on the front row with the rest of her family.

It was clear the family thought they were better than the rest. They wore clothes that looked far more expensive than any of the others. He remembered the way the daughter had spoken of Emma the day before. That alone had been enough to let him know exactly how the Bird's saw themselves.

By the time Emma and Adaline rose for their song Daniel was feeling just as restless as some of the children. The bench was hard and uncomfortable against his injury and people watching had lost its appeal a half an hour ago.

Once the music started even the most restless of the congregation fell silent. Daniel smiled as he was reminded why he thought he was in heaven when he first woke up in the Franklin's spare room.

Adaline carried the melody, easily hitting even the highest notes. It was Emma who made the song beautiful. Her voice carried lightly, weaving the harmony along with it.

By the time they finished their song a peaceful hush rested over the congregation. It seemed the group was grateful for the bit of peace in the uncertainty of the Roses.

"Miss Emma," Daniel called as church let out and everyone made their way out into the fall air.

"Deputy Knight," she smiled brightly. "Will you be joining us for dinner tonight? Aunt Hattie usually feeds everyone in the boardinghouse Sunday dinner and Sheriff Coleman usually joins as well."

He found himself returning the young woman's bright smile. "Well, I'm sure if Jesse is there, then I'll be there."

Emma's expression stiffened suddenly as she glanced behind him and it wasn't until he heard the voice coming from behind him that he understood why.

"Deputy," Allison Bird cooed and he turned to face the girl. "It is so good to see you here at church today." She continued.

"Yeah," he remarked, indifferently. "Miss Collins invited me to hear her and Miss Faraday sing."

He turned to acknowledge Emma, but she was gone, walking down the street with her cousins.

Allison's expression had taken on a sour expression by the time Daniel's attention returned to her.

"Can I help you with something, Miss Bird?" He asked, noting the expression.

Her smile returned. "Mother wanted to extend an invitation for Sunday dinner."

"That is very kind of her," Jesse Coleman stated, swooping in. "But Deputy Knight and I already accepted an invitation to join Franklins in their café for dinner."

The smile soured once again. "Perhaps next time."

With that she marched off.

"Joshua," I scolded as my cousin held the basket of rolls just out of my reach. "If you drop those, I swear I will skin you alive."

He just laughed. "You'll have to try a little harder than that Emma."

"Fight him, Emmie," Jacob goaded from the doorway. "I'll catch the rolls, you just teach him a lesson."

"And if you drop them, Jake," I said, momentarily looking past one cousin to the other. "I'll skin you too."

Jacob simply laughed. I ignored him and did as he had originally encouraged.

"Emma Grace Collins." Aunt Hattie scolded as my cousins and I scuffled in the kitchen. "Boys, you leave your poor cousin be and help her get the tables set before everyone gets here and sees you three acting like barbarians."

We grudgingly obeyed, but it wasn't without our fair share of well aimed elbows and purposeful bumps.

The moment the last table was set the door swung open.

"Come on little cousin," Joshua said, throwing me over his shoulder causing me to drop the left over silverware I was holding. "Time to hide you away."

"Joshua!" I yelped as the forks clattered to the floor.

He just laughed, carrying me toward the kitchen.

A familiar laugh filled the café and I looked up to find Sheriff Coleman and Deputy Knight having entered to find me being dragged away like a misbehaving child.

The blush that colored Emma's face as she fought against her eldest cousin's restraints was amusing. He wondered how Mrs. Franklin was able to keep her sanity with the three of them.

"I had Jacob when we were kids, but I kind of always wanted a sister," Joshua said later as the three of them sat around one of the tables after the meal had finished.

Jacob scoffed and punched his brother's shoulder.

"She's kind of annoying sometimes," the younger brother laughed. "But it's been nice having her around."

"Is she distracting you from your job, Danny?" Jesse asked, taking the empty seat, clapping his friend on the shoulder.

Daniel laughed. "If either of us needs distracting it's you."

The group laughed.

"You look like you need some air, Danny," Jesse stated. "Why don't you see if that little spitfire needs some air too."