Chapter 5

The storms rolled back in with a vengeance later that afternoon. Daniel paced the livery entry way. Emma still hadn't returned despite the downpour.

"It sure is gettin' late," James said coming up behind him. "It's not like Emma to stay out in storms like this."

"Maybe it hasn't reached her yet," he said trying not to get too concerned.

James shook his head. "She usually rides west out of town. It would have hit her first."

The look of concern on his face must've been obvious because James laughed.

"Don't worry about Emma. She'll be home when it pleases her and not a second sooner. Now Mama will have dinner on the table any minute and she'll be madder than a bee in a bonnet if you don't show."

Daniel laughed. Mrs. Franklin was just as spirited as her niece.

"I'll be over in a couple minutes."

"Good. I'll let her know."

Daniel watched as the other man headed across the street and up the road to his family's store and home before returning to the rest of his business.

He was just putting his things away when a loud commotion came from the front of the barn.

"Loose horse!" One of the workers yelled.

Sure enough a small steel grey mare tore down the center isle and slid to a stop at the end. The horses sides heaved from running and rain dripped from its face and sides.

"Careful, Deputy," the owner called as Daniel reached for the reins that were neatly tied around the saddle horn. "That's Emma Collins' horse. It'll put its hoof in your head before it'll let you touch it."

Sure enough the mare reared up, a wild look in its eyes.

Moving slower, Daniel tried again. This time the little mare let him take the reins and lead her into the empty stall.

After making sure the horse was put away he quickly saddled up his own. Emma's horse was here and she clearly was not. Something must've happened along the trail. What confused him though was how carefully the reins were tied.

The wound on his leg ached sharply as he swung up onto the back of the large stud horse.

"Come on, Ol' Bob," he said, patting the bay's neck. "Let's go find our missing wild child."

The pair headed out of town and in the direction James said his cousin often rode.

The rain came down even harder the further he got from town. It rolled in rivers off his hat and down his duster. His breath came in puffs of vapor from the chilling mountain air.

Had he been paying any less attention he would have missed her.

Emma was pressed in a tight little stand of trees. The only way Daniel noticed her was the piece of deep blue cloth peeking out from the flourish of yellow and red leaves.

"Emma?" He called.

Sure enough the undergrowth shifted as she crawled out, mud plastered to her dress, and leaves and twigs caught in her hair.

"Are they gone?" She asked, her voice trembling.

He swung off the back of his horse. "Is who gone?"

She shook her head, getting to her feet. "Some men rode through right before the storm hit."

"Roses?"

"I couldn't tell," she admitted. "I heard them coming and turned Tempest loose. It would be easier to hide without her and I knew she would head straight back to the barn. Once the storm hit though, I couldn't hear..."

The rain continued to pour down. Emma looked like she was starting to regret sending her horse home.

"That was smart. If it was the Roses it could have ended badly."

Emma shivered violently. "You shouldn't be out here. Doc Faraday will whip you when he finds out you've been riding."

She was right. The healing wounds ached painfully. Emma, however, looked at least as bad as Daniel felt.

"Well then, we both best be gettin' back before we catch our death in this storm," he said offering her his hand to help her up.

She hesitated for half a second before accepting his offer and swinging expertly onto the back of his horse. She wrapped her arms around his waist and they headed back to town.

~~~~~

Despite my embarrassment at being caught in the rain and being found by none other than Daniel Knight, I was more than ready to be home. And he was warm. Which was also kind of embarrassing, but the rain was cold and I had been out in it for quite a while.

Neither of us were dressed for the weather and it was a long ride back to town.

"Emma Grace Collins," Aunt Hattie scolded from the porch of the store. "What on earth do you think you're doin' in a storm like this?"

"Sorry, Aunt Hattie," I said meekly, trying to hide the fact that I was shivering so hard I'm sure my teeth were rattling in my skull.

"Joshua, go put the Deputy's horse away for him," she commanded. "Let's get these two in and warmed up."

Like always, Aunt Hattie's orders were obeyed. Although, Deputy Knight had to practically be pulled from his horse.

"Oh, Emma," Aunt Hattie fussed as she lead me and the Deputy into the sitting room. "You're soaked through. What on earth happened?"

Daniel opened his mouth to answer, but I cut him off before he could say anything about my suspicion of Roses.

"Tempest spooked when the storm rolled in," I said quickly. "She must've run back to the barn. I'm lucky Deputy Knight came lookin' for me."

Daniel's brow furrowed as he went to correct what I said, but Aunt Hattie cut him off with her thanks. "Now you two stay here by the fire," she instructed. "I'm going to go find more blankets and some dry clothes."

"What was that?" Daniel asked the moment we were left alone.

"You will not mention the possibility of Roses," I insisted. "Because if you do, the whole town will be goin' out after them, including you."

"And why can't I go out after the Roses?" He demanded stepping closer to me. "I don't know if you've realized this, Miss Emma, but I'm the deputy here now. It's my job to go after the Roses and anyone else who may threaten this town or the people livin' around it."

My temper sparked. "And how are you supposed to do that if you can barely stay on your horse?"

"I stayed on fine and you know it," he growled, closing the small space between us. I could feel the warmth radiating from him like I had on the ride back into town. "If I remember right if it wasn't for my ridin' you would still be out in that storm, so instead of tellin' me how to do my job, girl, maybe you ought to be more grateful."

"Thank you," I hissed. "But until you can draw that gun of yours without flinchin' there will be no mention of the Roses."

It was then I realized how closely we were standing. I felt my face burn with embarrassment as I stepped away quickly.

"Pardon," I said quickly, before stepping past him and hurrying out of the sitting room and up the stairs to the safety of my bedroom.

"Dear Lord," I prayed quietly, leaning against my bedroom door. "You and I both know lawmen don't last long 'round here. Please don't let me get attached."