Chapter 4

The following week passed uneventfully as Daniel Knight continued to heal. A week from the day he awoke he came out of hiding and Sheriff Coleman began introducing the new Deputy to the people of the town.

The Livery and Boardinghouse offered free place to stay for both him and his horse, and the owner of the saloon offered some advice.

"I don't know if yer a gamblin' man, Deputy Knight, but if ya are and ya hope to keep any of yer earnin's it's best to cut yer losses the second Miss Emma walks into the building," he stated matter-of-factly.

As they neared Franklin's General Store Daniel couldn't help but smile thinking of the generosity of the people running the place.

"This is Franklin General Store and Café," Jesse said with a sly grin. "I'm sure you'll find the folks here mighty accommodatin'." He winked as he opened the door and they went inside.

Inside Mr. Franklin moved about filling an order while his wife helped from behind the counter. Daniel had already "met" their two sons earlier at the blacksmith and the livery.

"Hello Sheriff," Mrs. Franklin called with a warm smile. "Is there anythin' we can help ya with today?"

"No, ma'am," Jesse responded, removing his hat. "I just wanted to introduce ya to the new Deputy in town. This is Daniel Knight."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Deputy," the woman smiled as she and her husband came over to shake his hand.

"The pleasure is mine Ma'am, Sir," he said, shaking each hand in turn. "If there's anythin' I can do for ya folks, anythin' at all, ya'll let me know."

"You could come have lunch with us in the Café," Mr. Franklin requested. "Our boys and niece will all be there."

The two officers smiled as they made their way into the Café adjoining the General Store. There Clara and Emma seemed to dance as they brought plates of food to the couple tables of patrons.

"More coffee, Missy," one of the more unruly tables called.

Daniel watched as Emma's jaw clenched. Clara reached for the coffee pot, but the dark haired girl stopped her gently.

"I'll handle them, Clara," Daniel heard her whisper. "Why don't you see if the Sheriff and his Deputy need anything. Remember, we don't know him." The girl winked as she gently nudged her friend toward the table where the newest group sat.

"Where's ma coffee?" The man called again.

Emma's shoulders tensed as she picked up the coffee pot from the stove top.

"Sorry about the commotion," Clara said sweetly as she approached the table where the four sat with two places open for the Franklin boys. "We have ourselves some men passin' through and they haven't been the most... gracious customers."

"Why don't you and Miss Emma join us for lunch, Miss Clara," Jesse requested.

"Get your hand offa me," Emma's furious voice floated over the other conversations.

The group turned to find one of the rowdy men tightly gripping Emma's small wrist.

"Ya ain't gonna do nothin' to me," the man smirked. "Now will ya sweetheart?"

"I'll dump this scalding hot coffee all over ya if ya don't release me this instant," the girl insisted, her eyes burning into the man's face.