Chapter 6

(Author's Note: I did a little shuffling with chapter 4 and 5. You may need to re-read them to make sure this chapter makes sense.)

Dinner had been a quiet affair. Well, quiet for everyone despite Aunt Hattie, who insisted on jumping between scolding me and thanking Daniel for riding out after me.

As I helped clean up the table the sleeves of my dress betrayed me, riding up just enough to show the bruise from the customer earlier in the day.

"What in heaven's name-?" Aunt Hattie began again.

"It's nothin' Auntie," I assured her, pulling the sleeve down again. "You know how I bruise."

She frowned. "You and Adaline best be gettin' down to the church to practice for services tomorrow. Mrs. Davis won't be too happy if she's kept waiting for too long."

"Yes ma'am," I said without argument. She was angry, but mostly worried. She would cool down in a little while, she just needed time.

Adaline and I linked arms and stepped out of the room to grab our shawls.

"Thank you again, Daniel," I heard Aunt Hattie say in the other room. "That girl worries me near to death. If anything were to happen to her I'm sure her mama would rise from the dead and drag me back with her."

"It's no problem ma'am," came Daniel's response. "Just doin' my job."

I shook my head as Adaline and I left the back of the store. I was nothing more than a worry and a duty.

"He is so handsome," Adaline gushed as we walked down the boardwalk toward the church at the end of town. "And even all shot up, he seems so strong."

I couldn't stay mad. "Our new Deputy isn't pullin' your attention from James, now is he Adi?" I asked with a laugh.

Her jaw dropped and her face turned nearly as red as her hair.

It only made me laugh harder.

"It sure is nice to hear you lovely ladies laughin' on such a dreary day," Pastor Davis smiled as we entered the church.

Adaline and I were often asked to sing during Pastor Davis' services. I understood why Adaline was asked to sing. She had the voice of an angel. I only agreed because it made me feel close to my mother.

Mama had often sung in church when she was feeling well enough. I didn't feel like I was all that wonderful at singing, but I enjoyed the reminder of my sweet mother.

After our practice, I walked back with Adaline to her house. The night was cold and to be totally honest, I hadn't quite warmed up from my adventure earlier in the day. It was cold, but it was beautiful.

The sky had cleared and the stars were truly brilliant. I could make out the constellations my father had pointed out to me as a child. There was the big and little dipper and this time of year, my least favorite, Orion.

"Miss Emma," a voice called from behind me.

I turned to see the now familiar half limping sway of Daniel Knight. Part of me wanted to turn and run. After our argument earlier in the day I didn't feel much like speaking with him.

"Deputy Knight," I greeted, pulling my shawl tighter around my shoulders.

"What are you doin' out this late?" He asked as he reached the place where I stood on the boardwalk.

I scowled. "You here to scold me again, Deputy?" I asked. " 'Cause I'm not really in the mood to listen to it just now."

He frowned, and it was clear from the lines around his eyes it was more common for him to grin.

"I actually came to apologize, Miss Collins," he scowled in return.

I sighed, exhaustion washing over me.

"There's no need for apologies, Deputy," I said quietly. "If anything I ought to be the one apologizin' for actin' ungrateful for your... your help earlier and then tellin' you how to do your job."

Daniel shook his head. "You were right in tellin' me to keep our thoughts of the Roses 'tween us for now. You were also right about not bein' fit to ride just yet."

From the look on his face it was difficult for him to admit he was wrong.

I shivered, the chill of the night working its way through my shawl. I should have grabbed a coat.

He offered his arm and I hesitated only a moment before accepting.

"You're hands are freezing," he grumbled slightly as we walked down the boardwalk towards my home. "This is the second time today I'm deliverin' you home near froze solid."

"Truth be told, I'm not sure I ever really warmed up to begin with," I admitted, noticing once again how warm Daniel Knight was.

He frowned. A common occurrence where I was concerned, it seemed. However, he didn't say anything about it.

"Adaline and I'll be singin' in church tomorrow mornin' if you're thinkin' on attendin'," I said as we reached the back door that led into the kitchen behind the store.

Why I had said it, I wasn't sure. It had just slipped out.

Daniel grinned. "I'll have to see how I'm feelin'," he said. It was good to see him smile. "Chasin' you down today may've caused my injuries to get all stiff again."

For a second guilt washed over me, but then he winked, letting me know he was just teasing me a little.

"Goodnight, Deputy," I smiled.

"I'll see you at church tomorrow, I suppose, Miss Emma," he responded.

With the short farewell he was gone into the night.