xvii. Descending, Ascending

[For the sake of making things easier for me, forget Godric's Hollow happened at Christmas thank youuu!]

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

SEVENTEEN DESCENDING, ASCENDING

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       THE UPCOMING WEEKS trudge by, the nights longer and the days colder. A lot of the time, Hermione would sit by herself in the tent, her nose hidden behind a book, trying to distance herself from Harry and Holly. The two, on the other hand, attempted to continue with figuring out where to go next, Holly checking the magic mirror daily.

       Technically, the mirror was working, and it was being truthful, but every time Harry asked what it said, Holly would have to say she didn't know, and then, when he said she was hiding something, admit it was showing Ron. That's what Harry, Holly, and Hermione needed most. Ron. But he wasn't going to come back.

       Holly hopes he will eventually, that they'll run into him. She misses him, honestly. It's weird spending every minute with someone, and then none at all...

       The months fly past. When every day is spent searching books and reciting someone's life, they seem to blend together. A morning becomes a second in a series of months, all spent sitting around in the same tent, moving around the country, settling down and trying to think of another plan of action. It's as if they hope, that with every move, they'll have some sort of revelation, that the water will be hard not soft and somehow, that'll make them have a sudden realisation of where to look next for a Horcrux.

       It isn't raining, thankfully, the next time they packed up, placing all of their belongings into Hermione's beaded purse. And then the next couple of weeks became the same as they had been when they stayed in Cornwall, in the Lake District, in a cave a few miles from Tintern Abbey. Holly keeps on looking into the mirror, in hopes that it'll show something different to Ron. Sometimes, when Harry and Hermione get a little too Gryffindor she sees Draco, but that makes her erupt into tears, and she has to walk away from the other two for a while so she can look at her cousin, standing in Malfoy Manor, a sullen look on his face.

       She sits in one of the camping chairs, holding the mirror like she normally does. Next to her sits Hermione, reading the copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard that she inherited from Dumbledore. "Look at that symbol," says Hermione, to the other two. Both Harry and Holly look incredulous, given that neither of them took Ancient Runes. "It isn't a rune and it's not in the syllabary, either. All along I thought it was a picture of an eye, but I don't think it is! It's been inked in, look, somebody's drawn it there, it isn't really part of the book. Think, have you ever seen it before?"