iv. Blood, Guts, and Glory

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

FOUR BLOOD, GUTS, AND GLORY

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       BLOOD, GUTS, AND GLORY galore grace the insides of the Daily Prophet on the first of September — articles reporting the most recent deaths of muggleborns and muggles alike are dotted in between pieces questioning the tactics of Lord Voldemort, the possibilities of what happened to the Death Eaters that escaped from Azkaban, and of course, how Harry Potter is the chosen one. Holly isn't sure how he's dealing with this boy wonder stuff, but it's starting to get on her nerves. Just once would she like to go to Diagon Alley ("Gotta get a sick new Quidditch outfit if I'm the Slytherin Captain!") and not have to nod and go, "Yes, my boyfriend is the chosen one. No, I am not concerned. Yes, I would like the receipt in the bag."

       Because that was the big news that arrived on her birthday: Holliday Lippincott is the new Slytherin Quidditch team captain. Apparently everyone still on the team passed because of how tragic their ensemble is, but you know what? Holly likes to think of this as a challenge. She'll boot out the players only there for brute force, and she'll replace them for real Slytherins, quick and slick and itching to win.

       But, since her birthday falls on the twenty-ninth of August, she only had three days to prep herself for sorting out the tragedy that is the Slytherin Quidditch team. She's already planned their first line of attack, and she's already gotten a letter from Flo Montague saying she'll be the second-in-command if necessary (she mentioned something about how this letter must seem out of the blue, but "shockingly," it doesn't kill her to be nice) so things should be able to run smoothly. The next thing's finding a better team. And then, after that, it's the other stuff she's got planned.

       I can't believe you're ditching me for Potter, says Draco, as Holly parts ways with him, slipping past multiple families bidding farewell to catch up to Harry. Holly said goodbye to her mother at home, feeling incredibly uncomfortable as her mother hugged her tightly and wished her a wonderful school year. She feels bad, thinking that. Why should she feel uncomfortable? It makes no sense. She loves her mother. It's wrong that she feels uncomfortable with her mother hugging her.

       I can't believe you're ditching me for Crabbe and Goyle, she retorts. I'll be back later, anyway. Once Hermione and Ron are back from prefect duty, I'll find you lot... And anyway! You wouldn't be there anyway, you've got prefect—

       I'm not going, he interrupts.

       Well, you should? she replies, a frown actually forming on her face.

       I don't see the point, he says, and Holly finally catches up to Harry.

       "I figured I'll keep you company until Ron and Hermione get back," says Holly as she walks up to him, a little smile across her face. She glances around, where a number of students and parents look at Harry with beady eyes. Holly turns back to him. "C'mon, boy wonder."