Chapter Twenty-Three - Surprise...

Start from the beginning

Chance frowned, and looked down at me as if I was some lowlife insect. "I never asked for your help." 

My mouth fell wide open, and I just looked at him. This guy was unbelievable. "I-I just saved your life!" I yelled out astonished he would just flick me off like the insect he thought I was, without a single word of gratitude. 

He just turned around, and walked back to the couch, pretending to ignore me. "Why are you doing this?" I asked angrily. He was really starting to annoy me. He and Bolten weren't different at all!

He just looked at me and smirked. "Because you saved my life." He mocked me, trying to sound over dramatic. 

I glared at him, and opened the door and walked out into the hallway. "Your information is shit!" I called back to him, and I heard him chuckle. "You'll find out soon enough sweetheart that it isn't!" He called back to me. 

That really made me think. A few more steps were about to happen if I didn't complete the mating process with Bolten? What steps..?

But from Chance's stupid cocky look, I assumed something was going to happen, and I wasn't going to like it... 

I shrugged off the bad feeling growing inside of me, and just kept walking back to the doctor's office. Maybe Lil was awake by now, and starting to feel better. And I honestly didn't know what to do... I wanted to beg for her forgiveness, and tell her how sorry I am and that this was all MY fault... 

But sorry can't fix the fact that she almost died. Sorry can't fix the fact that it was all my fault. Sorry can't fix anything!

I tried to swallow all my fears down as I stood in front of the door. I put my shaky hand on the doorknob and let out a heavy sigh. Here goes nothing. 

I opened the door, and summoned up all the courage I had left. "Lil, I just want to apologize for everything-" I was saying with a confident voice, but at the same time trying to sound sincere. But I stopped when I saw Lil, her face was completely red, matching the doctor's. My mouth was wide open as I stared at the two, who were about to kiss. 

All of us remained silent, and I was just gawking while the two pulled away embarrassed. "Uhhh..." I said backing away awkwardly. "I'll just uh... Go now..." I said, about to shut the door when Lil called out to me. "Wait! Vivian darling, promise me you wont tell a single soul!" Lil begged me, stepping away from the doctor. 

My eyebrows furrowed as I gave her a confused gaze. "Uh, I wont?" I said, not really sure why she was so desperate about it. "No Vivian, you have to promise me!" She said, walking up to me and grasping both my hands. 

I just looked her in the eyes, and her eyes screamed panic. I nodded, and said, "I promise, but why are you so worked up about it?" 

She quickly looked down, and then at the doctor. "You see deary... The current Alpha has a very strict rule about employees dating... One of them will be tortured and banished, while the other watches and has their work hours doubled, including their work..." 

My mouth fell open as rage grew inside me. "What?!" I asked angrily. "Who the hell has the right to control someone's relationships?!" 

"The Alpha deary..." Lil whispered, looking down. Sadness quickly replaced the anger that was seething inside me, and I quickly hugged Lil. "I promise, I wont tell anybody" I half smiled to her when she looked up at me happily. "I owe you my life, since you tried to protect mine and almost got killed while at it..." I said, hugging her once more. 

"No deary, it's you we both have to thank." Lil smiled brightly at me. "David and I have been dating for the past year, since we're mates and everything..." She looked at the doctor, and they both looked at each other through love filled eyes. "And so far everything has been perfect and nobody suspected a thing... So thats why its so important for this to remain a secret..." She said, looking at me once more with hope filled eyes. 

"This will always remain our little secret." I smiled at the doctor and Lil, who thankfully smiled back at me. "But I have to go see why Bolten is acting this way, and I promise Lil, nobody will ever lay a finger on you again." I promised her, turning around. 

"Wait!" Lil called out again, and I turned around. "Yes?" 

"Can I ask you a favor..?" Lil asked sheepishly, going over to the doctor and holding his hand. 

I smiled at her and nodded, "Of course." Lil looked up at the doctor hesitantly, and then at me. "Do you think you can lift this ridiculous law, you know, after you become Luna?" 

My eyes widened, and I couldn't find the words I was looking for. "Luna..?" I whispered out confused. 

"Well yes deary, the young master is next in line to become the new Alpha, and once he  is, you'll officially be our next Luna." Lil explained, looking at me with hope filled eyes. "Do you think you can get rid of this law?" 

I just looked down, astonished she could believe I could be the next Luna. "Lil... I- I just dont know... I'm a human, and I dont know if I could lead all the werewolves of this state..." I let my own words sink in as I thought about all the werewolves of an ENTIRE STATE, and how they'd mock a human like me for even trying to call herself a Luna. 

"But I've seen the power in your eyes... Trust me deary, you'll catch them all by surprise, including yourself." Lil smiled at me. I half smiled back, and looked down. "Lil, I can't promise you that I'll become Luna, but if I do, I'll definitely try my best to get rid of this stupid law..." 

At my words, Lil almost jumped with joy and embraced the doctor, who delightfully hugged her back. They both pulled apart and kissed. Embarrassed that I was staring, I quickly looked down to the ground, and smiled to myself. I've just made two people in love extremely happy. 

I sighed, and wondered why Bolten can't be like the doctor, caring and gentle, and willing to do anything to be with his mate... 

Wait, I dont care, I dont love Bolten either, so why should I care? 

I shook my head and looked up, and saw Lil smiling gently at the doctor. "Ever since I came here when I was 16, I instantly fell in love with David... But the law was that employees could never date, and I've felt so sad and hopeless. The feeling almost tore me apart, not being able to be with my own mate... But at least now we have a chance..." Lil sighed, looking at me. 

I was astonished. This stupid law had kept two mates from being together, but not even that stopped them. They really were meant for each other....

"Well well well, looks like we've got a little problem..." A dark voice chuckled from the doorway, causing everyone's heads to snap towards the door. I spun around, and gasped.