Chapter 3

Emily carefully skipped down the cobblestone path down the hill towards the clearing where the class for Care of Magical Creatures was held. She was not present at the time of whatever commotion erupted mid-class, all that triggered her out of her absentmindedness was the burning of her ring finger, the greenstone of her ring blaring like a distress signal.

"What happened?" She frantically questioned upon reaching Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Emily was met with a few questionable looks from the Gryffindors, her brother most especially. "Where have you been? You didn't tell me you were going to skive off class" He said with utmost concern.

"I took a detour and I-I didn't expect it to take up so much time," I'm not lying – it's not a lie. Emily shrugged off the question and prompted them once more, "Tell me what's happened?" She demanded.

"Buckbeak attacked Malfoy." Ron blurted from Harry's side, effectively earning a confused look from her. What on earth is a Buckbeak? Harry continued on, sensing his sister's confusion. "Hagrid told us never to insult a Hippogriff – Malfoy outright ambushed the creature in its face – you've got to believe us – "

Emily frowned. "Well, he can be a git – an awful git at times, even. So, I believe you, but how badly was he hurt? Did Bucky break anything or – "

"Buckbeak," Hermione corrected. "And no, I think he just slashed him. It didn't look like anything deadly if that's what you're worried about." Emily nodded and began to feel a certain freedom finally come across her chest, "Well, that's a relief. Did I miss anything else? How many classes had I missed?" She nervously asked. Hermione came prepared and took out a little notebook, "There's an essay for Transfiguration that you missed, Professor McGonagall was asking where you went off to – but other than that, nothing else." She smartly said.

Fantastic. Emily had sincerely lost time with her newfound companion, but it wasn't exactly the type of excuse that could get her out of a sticky situation with Aunt Minerva. "Brilliant. I take it we have DADA next. Harry, mind you bring my bag for me? I'll just check up on Malfoy – I won't be long."

Harry gladly took his sister's bag and led the group back to the castle, leaving Emily to have a moment to breathe freely, letting Draco's attack sink into her brain. What's gotten in him?

"You alright over there?" A voice beamed from behind her, a tinge of a foreign accent staining his voice. Emily turned around and saw Derek coming up to her. "Oh, hello, why haven't you gone off with your housemates? You know you can always join Harry. He seems to like you a whole lot."

"Oh, well, I just wanted to check how you are," Derek truthfully said, a mild blush spreading across her face, "I know Malfoy's your boyfriend, so this whole thing might be stressful for you."

That's nice of him to consider that. "That's really sweet, thanks, Derek. But don't let me keep you – you ought to go to class now."

"Right, will do."

"Let me ask this, though." Emily suddenly voiced out the one dreaded concern that was left in the air, "Had anyone else done whatever it is that Draco had done, would they also receive a beating from the Hippogriff?"

Derek considered this for a moment before eventually answering, "I reckon so, yeah. Definitely. Hagrid said that they're prideful creatures. Respect is a two-way street with them."

That's exactly what I needed to hear. "Good to know, thanks."

~

The Hospital Wing,

"Wha – Emily?" Draco called out, momentarily smiling at the sight of his girlfriend entering the hospital wing, though it was proven by the fumes that might as well be coming out of her ears that she was not conducting a wellness check. "Shouldn't you be in class – Hey!"