Chapter 1

Dear Ms Emily Catherine Potter,

We would like to inform you that we have received intelligence that your brother, Harry James Potter, current resident of No. 4, Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey, has performed an Inflating charm on a Muggle relative by the name of Mrs Marge Dursley. Seeing that this is only by accidental use of magic, Harry is given a second-degree warning.

This letter is sent to you as it is the protocol to inform the next of kin.

Hoping that you are well,

Mafalda Hopkirk of the Improper use of Magic & Cornelius Fudge; Minister of Magic

It was a quiet night in the Potter-McGonagall household. Emily spent what few evenings she had left until school would start again alone and bored, and this was thanks to her Aunt Minerva who had reported back to Hogwarts early in preparation for the oncoming school year, discussing and building lesson plans with her fellow professors.

Perhaps the letter now in Emily's hand was the most eventful thing to have happened all summer. "For goodness sake, Harry." She tiringly muttered to herself, dragging out her trunk from her closet. Emily was infuriated, to say the least, about how the Ministry handled things like underaged sorcery. She herself had performed witchcraft and was never apprehended for her actions, but then again, the Wizarding World weren't in the know about her existence until recently. Emily did think about formally reintroducing herself to the Ministry just to keep the record straight, however, that would mean the reinforcement of the Trace since it was protocol to have it, especially if you're under the age of seventeen. But what's the fun in that, really?

Aunt Minerva trusted her enough to leave her in their house unsupervised, she probably thought to herself that with the trauma from the basilisk that Emily just healed from that she would want to stay put and not do anything drastic and dangerous.

Minerva McGonagall had never been proven so wrong.

She cracked open her bedroom window and settled her beloved owl on the windowsill, her beak fondly nipping at Emily's hand. "You know where to go, Hayley." The owl chirped at her as if to agree, her wings spreading wide before launching herself off into the velvety night sky.

Once Emily had completely packed up her trunk and backpack, her nerves got to the best of her and made her hands tremble terribly. It's never going to be easy, but it has to be done. She took her things with her and stepped out of her home, locking the door before she left the yard.

You would think that living with a professor who had a scandalously absurd habit of hoarding books would mean Emily had an unlimited supply of entertainment, but after living together for almost three years, she already read most of them and exhausted her brain by the dump of information. Emily didn't read literally all of them since some were not as interesting to her while some were published in a foreign language. And her boredom led to an absolute last resort: reading the daily newspaper. It stimulated her brain with crossword puzzles and articles that always intrigued her, but there was a specific one that took her interest, and it was an advertisement for a peculiar mode of transportation.

Alright, if I do what the ad said to do, I would be able to call them right away. Emily slipped her wand out from her sleeve and lifted her wand hand adjacent to the street, and as fast as she had blinked her eyes, a pair of burning white headlights zoomed down the corner, a hectic burst of the cool night air blasting through her yard.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus." A man stepped out, clad in deep purple robes and a funny little hat, and he snapped at Emily's luggage, enchanting them to take themselves inside the bus. "Where we headed tonight, miss?"