🌺 Chapter XXXXII

<Via's POV>

"You're not allowed to eat in costume!" Beth chides. Drew shoves their entire brownie in their mouth, then proceeds to choke on it. Beth smacks their arm. "Drew! Child!"

"Drew, listen to your mother," I mutter, leaning back in my chair.

"Gee, thanks, Dad. You're such a big help." I smirk and keep scrolling through my phone. The opening of 'Master of the House' starts playing over the speakers and Drew starts to dramatically act out all of the choreography.

"Go, Drew," Roman says, grabbing a cookie from the snack table. Beth looks at him and he slowly puts the cookie back. "Why is waiting until the second act so boring?"

"That's why I brought my homework." Drew holds up their backpack. "And it's also why we have phones."

"Do I really have to wear a wig?" Lily asks, walking out of the dressing room. She itches her scalp, making a face.

"Well, last time I checked, Cosette didn't have blue hair," I say.

"I think they did actually have hair dye in the 1800s, though," Jacob says. "Now, I have to go buy a child. Bye."

"Bye, Dad!" Lily laughs.

"Via," Drew whispers, "look at Trevor."

I turn around and see Trevor sitting in the doorway to the band room, glaring at me. I smile and flip him off before turning back around.

"What a douchebag," I mumble.

"You are aware that he's probably going to punch you onstage."

"I can handle it. I have improv skills like you wouldn't believe." Beth walks over and perches on the edge of the table, smiling at me. "Hello, Eponine."

 "My dear Marius." She leans down to kiss me, but just ends up falling into my lap. "Oops. Hi."

"Don't act like you didn't do that on purpose," I joke. She laughs and pecks my lips. "I love you."

"Goddamnit," Drew grumbles, crossing their arms. "Why do you two have to be so cute?"

"Oh, go whine to your girlfriend." Beth lightly smacks my arm. She plays with my hair, humming lightly. "Don't fuck up my hair."

"Too late." She ruffles my hair and I swat her hand away, fixing it. "I love you."

"And you're lucky I love you," I mutter.

•••

"I feel like I'm going to throw up." Beth pecks my cheek and I take a deep breath, some of my nerves fading. I walk onstage and Trevor glares at me.

"Marius, you're late."

"What's wrong today? You look as if you've seen a ghost."

"Some wine and say what's going on," Drew sings, winking at me.

"A ghost you say, a ghost maybe. She was just like a ghost to me," I sing, sitting down. I see Trevor's expression turn to shock and smile.  "One minute there, then she was gone."

Drew and the others make fun of me while Trevor sits and glares at me. I keep singing, slowly getting more and more confident.

"Red!"

"The color of desire!"

"Black!"

"The color of despair!" I belt. Trevor stalks over and does Enjolras' whining thing. I sit and smirk at him the entire time. The song ends and we all run offstage. Beth runs up to me, grinning. She kisses me and Drew gives me a thumbs-up.

•••

"Via," Trevor says. I turn and he crosses his arms, staring at the ground. "Umm, good job on your solo. I'm sorry for being a dick to you."

I roll my eyes and turn on my heel, walking out for bows. I'm almost completely sure that I hear Groff cheering as I bow. We get in line and I grab Beth's hand. She squeezes my hand, smiling at me. The lights turn off and we all run offstage. Beth tightly hugs me, pressing her face into my chest.

"Your solo was amazing!" she gasps, grinning. "I was crying. A lot."

"She was," Lily says. "I was standing next to her."

"Don't worry. I cried during your song," I say. She stands on her toes and kisses me. "How much do you want to bet Groff cried?"

"Oh, no question. He totally did." I take her hand and we walk to the front lobby. I freeze in the doorway, seeing and hearing the crowd. "Via?"

"Nope. Too many people," I mumble.

"Okay. Do you want to talk to Groff?"

"I'll talk to him later." She nods and kisses my knuckles before walking away. I walk back to the green room, sitting alone for a few moments.

"Hey, kid," Groff says. I jump and turn around. He takes his hat off and grins at me. "You were awesome."

"Thanks." I stand up and hug him. "You didn't notice that I choked?"

"What? I never heard any choking. I heard you mess up your line, though." I laugh and lightly shove him. "You have so much talent, kid. I just, like, wow, I'm still trying to process it."

"Thanks." Beth lightly knocks on the doorframe.

"Umm, should you guys get a picture before you leave?" she asks.

"Ooh, good idea."

"Fine, I guess." Groff hands her his phone and he puts his arm around my shoulders, grinning widely. I shake my head, smirking at him.

"Thanks, Beth," he says, taking his phone back

"Thanks, Beth," he says, taking his phone back. He turns and looks at me. "I'll see you at home."

"It'll be an hour or so."

"That's fine. I love you, child." He puts his hat back on and leaves. Beth grins and I slump down onto the chair.

"Tired," I grunt.

"Eat some chocolate. You'll feel better." I shrug and she carefully takes off my mic, humming 'On My Own.'

"Via! Holy shit!" Drew screams, startling me. "Jonathan Groff is here! And he told me I did a good job!"

"Yes, Drew, we know your cult worships him," Beth teases.

"I'm sorry... There's a cult? I ask.

"Long story. We'll tell you later," Drew says quickly. They hurry to the dressing room. *Anyway, I have to go change so my mom can take me home."

"I thought you were driving," Beth says.

"No, Thomas drove me here. But since my mom's here, I'm just having her drive me home."

"I'm going to change, too. Before the masses arrive." Beth kisses me and I get up. "I love you."

"Aww, I love you, too."

A/N

Hi, everyone! I hope you're well!

Thanks for your support, and for reading this book!

Love y'all!

*Art credits go to me*