🌺 Chapter XI

<Via's POV>

Groff drops me off at the high school and I walk inside. The building is relatively empty. I manage to, somewhat easily, find my locker. I put my backpack inside and carry my stuff to my first class. English with Mr. Hunter.

I sit in the second row, grabbing my book and opening it. A bell rings and I jump. A few people walk inside, drop their stuff on a desk, and leave the classroom. The teacher walks into the room, sitting at his desk.

A while later, the bell rings again. This time, several people come into the room, sitting in clusters around the room. A tan boy with black hair sits behind me; I only notice him because of the pride pins on his jacket.

"Hey," he whispers, tapping my shoulder. I turn around and he stares at me, his mouth slightly open.

"Yes?"

"Uhh, you wanna go out?" he asks. I look him up and down and he grins.

"I don't really date... boys," I say hesitantly.

"That's cool." I turn back around and he pokes my shoulder again. "I have a cute friend, if you're interested. She's gay."

"Alright, everyone. My name is Mr. Hunter. I'm going to take attendance, so if I say your name wrong or if you have a nickname, let me know." I sit quietly, listening to the names as he reads them off. He says my name wrong (Vy-uh).

"It's Vee-uh," I say nervously, holding my hand up.

"Got it. Bethany Zimmerman?"

"Here."

"Okay. I'm going to pass out the syllabus, and then I want you to write an introduction letter to me. The letter is due by the start of class tomorrow."

•••

I nervously approach the PE teacher, holding my gym shirt.

"Umm, where's locker Z185?" I ask.

"The Z lockers are in the boys' locker room." Shit. And I thought it wouldn't matter.

"O- Oh. Umm, I'm not—"

"Look, kid, obviously your student information says you're a guy. I can't do anything about it. No changing in the girls' locker room."

"Well, I'm not changing in the boys' locker room."

"Hey, Via!" someone calls. I look up and see the kid from my English class walking over. "Hey, Mrs. Jennings."

"Mr. Hernandez."

"It's Mx—"

"Would you show him to the boys' room?" She jabs a finger at me and I stare at my feet.

"Sure. C'mon, Via." He winks at me and I follow him down the hallway. He opens the door to a storage closet and waves me inside. "Welcome to the VIP lounge."

"Hey, Drew," a boy says. His face is covered in acne, and his hair is short and blond. His voice cracks as he talks. "Who's this?"

"New VIP." Drew turns to me, grinning. "Welcome to the official gender-neutral changing room, Via!"

"A closet?"

"Hey, it's better than having to change in the boys' room. Plus, it adds a nice touch of irony."

"Touché," I mutter.