🌺 Chapter XXIX

<Via's POV>

I open my locker, looking at the picture of Beth and I on the inside of the door. It's the only locker decoration I've allowed myself. A pair of arms wrap around my waist and I feel Beth pressing her face against my back.

 "Hey, beautiful," I say quietly.

"Hi." She lets go of me and reaches up to touch my hair. "So, the callback list is going up today."

"Interesting." I finish grabbing my stuff and shut my locker door. I turn around and lean down to quickly kiss her. She takes my hand and we walk down the hallway together.

"I'm so excited!" she whispers. "I really want Eponine. Or, really, any ensemble role with a small solo would be fine."

"You'll definitely get Eponine. Who could resist that gorgeous face?" She blushes, giggling. I cup her face in my hands and lean down, kissing her lips. "Dinner, tonight?"

"Yep." She hops up and gives me one last peck on the cheek before walking away.

•••

Beth grabs my hand as she runs past me, dragging me down the hallway with her.

"The callback list is up!" she squeals. I laugh and pick up the pace, trying to keep up with her. There's a large crowd around the bulletin board. "Oh, I'm so excited!"

"Who the fuck is Via Winters?" I glance towards the voice and see a pasty-white guy sneering at the list. "Sounds like a stripper or something."

"And I'm pretty good at it, too," I say, walking up to the board. He pushes my shoulder and I look at him, barely moving. "May I help you?"

"If you think you're taking my fucking role, you're wrong. I'm going to be Marius, not some random freshman."

"Actually, Trevor, Via's a junior," Beth pipes up, grabbing my hand.

"And besides, it's only callbacks, Trevor," I say, smirking. I look at the list, trying to hide my surprise. Beth squeezes my hand and pulls me away from the list. I look at Trevor, who's scowling at me. "Good luck."

Beth and I walk out of the school together, Beth grinning the whole way. I'm still processing how I managed to get callbacks for Valjean, Javert, Marius, and Enjolras.

"You'd better get Marius," Beth whispers. I unlock my bike from the rack, nodding.

"And you'd better get Eponine." She nods and kisses me as I put my helmet on. "I'll see you at five."

"Yep! I love you."

"I love you, too." I hop on my bike and ride towards home. I only have a little bit of time to work on homework. I open the door and Spice races towards me, panting. "Hey, dog."

I pick her up and shut the door, walking to my room. Spice sits in my lap as I sit at my desk, working on homework. I have an entire essay to write by next Monday, so I really need to start working.

After what feels like no time at all, my phone alarm goes off, making me jump. Spice yips and I gently push her off my lap. I change into a grey polo shirt and go down to the garage. Spice keeps trying to leave with me.

"Goddamnit, you dumb dog," I sigh. "You can't come with. Stay."

Spice sits on the floor, panting. I quickly shut the door before she can slip out. I ride to the diner that we usually go to, locking my bike up outside. Beth's not here yet, surprisingly. I sit at a table, waiting for her. I look at my phone after about five minutes. No texts or calls.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" the waitress asks.

"Water," I sigh. She looks at me sadly and walks away. I send Beth a text, just asking where she is. I boredly flip through the menu, my appetite pretty much gone now. I look at my phone again.

V: Hey, Beth.

V: I'm at the restaurant.

V: Are you ok?

"Hey, Via," someone says. I look up and, to my surprise, Katie's standing there. "What's up?"

"Oh, I'm just waiting for Beth to show up."

"Beth?"

"Yeah. Have you seen her since school ended?"

"Why would she ask you out today?" Katie asks, mostly to herself. I raise an eyebrow and Katie sits down across from me. "I don't have a lot of time to explain, but--"

"Would you just tell me where the hell she is?" Katie bites her lip nervously. "Katie."

"It's... her brother."

"Her brother? I didn't know she had a brother."

"She doesn't, umm, anymore." Realization sinks in.

"Oh."

"He died about five years ago. This same week. She's always a little... sensitive... around this time."

"She seemed fine at school."

"Well, she had the callback list as a distraction." Katie mutters.

"So, she won't show?"

"Highly unlikely. Sorry, Via."

"Thanks, Katie." She nods, gets up from the table, and walks away. I set five dollars on the table and leave, frowning. Why would she set up a date if she's not even going to show up? My phone buzzes.

B: I can't come.😩😩😩

B: I'm so sorry!😢

V: Are you ok?

B: Not really. I love you.

V: Sorry about your brother.

V: Katie told me.

B: Thanks. 💕💕💕

B: I love you. 💙💚💛💜💕💓

V: Love you too.

I send her a picture of Spice because I know she loves dogs.

V: *one attachment*

B: Omg!!!!!!!!!!😍😍😍

B: PUPPY!

B: I LOVE YOU VIA!

V: I love you too. See you at school.

 A/N

Hey lovelies!

Not a lot to say. Hope you're having a great day!

Love y'all!