🌺 Chapter XXXIX

<Via's POV>

I put the pizza in the oven right as the doorbell rings. I quickly set the timer and run to get it. I open the door and Beth jumps into my arms, tightly hugging me.

 "Hello," I laugh. She kisses me, giggling. "My dad's not home yet."

"Puppy!" she gasps loudly. She quickly crouches down and I move as Spice trots over. She scratches Spice's head, giggling. "Let me pet you!"

"You are petting her," I say.

"She's so soft!" she gasps. "What's your name?"

"Spice." She looks up at me, beaming.

"Can I hold her?"

"Go for it." She scoops Spice up in her arms, cooing and babbling to her. It's honestly adorable.

"You're so cute, aren't you? Yes, you are!" I smile and walk to the kitchen to get a snack. Beth follows me, still holding Spice. "Sorry."

"For?" I hold out a chocolate bar and she gasps, setting Spice down before taking it.

"People say it's annoying when I talk to dogs," she mumbles, eating her chocolate.

"I think it's cute." She smiles widely.

"So, when did you get her?"

"Christmas."

"Oh, cool!"

"Yeah. She's my emotional support animal." I open the jar of dog treats and hand one to Beth. She gives it to Spice, who happily eats it.

"Are you emotionally unstable?" Beth asks.

"Usually." She smiles and shakes her head, petting Spice. "So, before my dad gets here... I need you to promise that you'll be really chill."

"Of course. Why, is he weird?"

"He's... Umm, you'll see." She slowly nods, looking confused. "I should probably refill Spice's food."

"Or you could kiss me," Beth says, smiling sweetly.

"Hmm, let's see. You... or my dog?"

"Your dog," she says, giggling. "Dogs always come first."

"I'll take both." I kiss her, then grab Spice's food, pouring it in her bowl. She doesn't eat it, though. She just runs over to stand by the door. "Goddamnit. Spice, get away from the door."

I walk over and pick her up, almost getting hit with the door in the process.

 "Oh, shit. You okay, kid?" Groff asks.

"Watch your language," I say. I carry Spice to her food bowl and she starts eating. I stand up and see Beth staring at me. "Oh. Uhh, Beth, Groff. Groff, this is Beth."

"Nice to meet you," he says, holding out his hand. Beth slowly shakes it, a stunned expression on her face. "I assume I'm not who you expected?"

"N- Not really," she squeaks out. "Umm... I'm not dreaming, right?"

"Nope," I say.

"Great. Do you have, like, a pillow I can scream into it something? Because, umm, I'm kinda freaking out right now."

"Is she always like this?" Groff asks me. I shrug. "Cool. Anyway, it's very nice to meet you. I'll be in the shower."

"Good," I mutter, waving him away. He grins and walks away. Beth deeply inhales, pressing her head into my shoulder.

"I just completely embarrassed myself in front of Jonathan Groff, didn't I?" she whispers.

"You're good. He's pretty chill."