23. clue 2

a.n* i'm too lazy to capitalize anything so from here on, i'm going to use lowercase.

donghyuck kept a journal? it's wrong for me to go through it though, right?

i kept debating whether or not it was okay for me to be looking through his stuff.

"he's missing. we need to do whatever we can to get him back." i said to myself.

what made me question this more was the fact the window was left open and his journal just happened to be there. was this purely coincidence or... did he want to be found? 

all that was written in here were different prank ideas.

"there's nothing in here that's useful!" i shouted, frustrated at this point. i tossed the book on the floor and out came a folded piece of paper. i bent down to pick it up and unfolded it. it was actually a photograph. 

a picture of young donghyuck riding an elephant at the zoo.

is this a clue or something?

what does it mean?

and then something clicked.

i pulled out my phone and clicked yukhei's contact.

"yukhei, i need you to drive us to the school-"

"drive you to school? why? what happened?"

"no there's no time to explain right now, i'll explain it in the car. i have a feeling though..." 

"feeling that what?"

"i think donghyuck wants to be found."

i hugged the photo tightly to my chest and folded it back up, placing it the sweater pocket. i also grabbed the journal and tucked it under my arm.

i heard my phone start to ring.

it was mark.

"what?"

"donghyuck's parents are here."

 "what do you mean they're here?!" 

"his parents just pulled into the driveway."

i heard them unlock the front door and bustle in.

"okay. well i'll just get out through the back door." 

"you can't. they have a security system on all the doors."

"what do you mean they have a security system?" 

"they only put it on at night. each door has a passcode to set an alarm. if the door is locked, the alarm will go off and the police will automatically be on their way. i see them plugging in the passcodes now."

"so if any of the doors open while the system's on, an alarm will go off?"

"correct."

"so how am i gonna get out of here?"

we both stayed quiet for a few moments. i heard jeno in the background shout "the window!"

"no no no. you think i'm going to jump out the window? i'm on the second floor!" i whisper shouted at them.

they started arguing on the other end and i heard jeno say, "gimme the phone mark."

"minji?"

"jeno. you're crazy if you think i'm jumping out the window."