Chapter Twenty-Five: A Dirty Matter

Start from the beginning

Elizabeth did not know if she was relieved by that or not. A few years ago, she would have welcomed a marriage between Laura and Richard, but its practical objections now could not be ignored: Laura's first marriage had brought her into a lower circle, and now that she was Richard's mistress, she had nothing left in money or connection to offer him in marriage. On the other hand, Elizabeth could concede that marriage was not only a matter of commercial interest. There was the moral question to think of as well, which could only be answered by a marriage between the two. Then there was the need for Richard to have a son — a legitimate son. Elizabeth eyed Laura's slender figure speculatively. Marriage between the two, though not the most desirable event on earth, could not be an evil if a child came of it. Or precipitated it.

She smiled at Laura. "You have me quite mistaken. I cannot condone your current circumstances, but if the day comes when Richard's happiness is secured by making you his wife, then I will welcome you as a sister."

Laura stared uneasily back at her.

"Indeed," Elizabeth continued, in as sweet a tone as she could muster, "I have no ill feeling for you in particular, it is only this situation that gives me pause. Natural concern for my brother, yes, but also concern for you."

"For me?" Laura was now incredulous.

"Yes. For you. I have seen in recent weeks that it is not at all as I had thought. I had assumed he was under your thrall — but I find, instead, that it is you who adores him. And to adore any man, let alone one who is attached to you nothing more substantial than his current whim, is a dangerous position for a woman."

Laura blinked, open-mouthed. "What on earth are you saying?"

"I'm saying that you need to be more cautious," Elizabeth said patiently. "You are in danger of breaking your heart over him."

With a burst of hard laughter, Laura got to her feet. "Oh, Eliza, if that is the worst danger you envision, I welcome it."

"You must see the danger in it, surely." Elizabeth frowned up at her. "You seem to admire him very much. But he — I think he is only amusing himself with you."

"Amusing himself!?"

"I have seen no evidence that his deeper feelings have been touched. But I can tell even now that yours have." The flush in Laura's cheeks and the anger in her eyes told Elizabeth that. But Richard — his phlegmatic nature had not been disturbed. "I seek only to warn you. You are too open with him. You give him too much of yourself."

"No. You don't." Laura looked down at her, her brows drawn, her eyes dark and narrow. "I can see exactly what you are doing. Rather than doing me any kindness with these cruel words, you seek to make me distrust your — your wonderful brother. You see that you cannot persuade either of us to quit this and think that you can sabotage us into ending it. Well you can't."

"That is not what I mean at all," Elizabeth said, frustrated. "I am thinking only of your welfare."

"Oh don't be ridiculous!" Laura tossed her head. "You came down here for the purpose of splitting us up — no other reason. And soon you return home and this is your last chance. You have bided your time certainly, but I won't be taken in."

"I came because Catherine—"

"—Is perfectly healthy and in no danger of getting a pox." Laura's eyes flashed. "Let me give you a gentle warning, too, Elizabeth. Your children will not forget nor forgive you for abandoning them at such a time."

"I had no choice," Elizabeth said, her irritation becoming anger.

"You had every choice in the world. And you chose against your children." Laura flung herself back down on the couch and picked up her book again. "I can imagine no reason for that, no excuse. Nothing but selfishness. Unforgivable in a mother."