My eyelids dip from exhaustion. Now that the adrenaline from the multiple fights and sprinting I’ve done today has faded, I wanted to do nothing more than simply sleep.

But I can’t.

I need to stay awake until it’s Tooth’s turn to keep watch tonight. I’m hopeful that he will let me escape since I defended him today. He was thankful enough to say something to me. I’m pretty sure that The Distress would not be happy knowing that one of my captors talked to me. At least I know that’s he’s not entirely loyal to The Distress.

How did Greg and Tooth end up working with The Distress?

My eyelids flicker shut, but I force them back open. I can sleep once I’ve safely escaped. Tonight during Tooth’s watch shift might be my only chance.

I pinch my arm, hoping that it will wake me up. It only adds more soreness to my body. Every muscle aches. My head throbs. Rumbles echo from my stomach every few minutes.

I once again regret that I foolishly got myself sent here.

My eyelids sink closed again, begging me to retreat into slumber. I allow myself twenty seconds, only twenty seconds, to close my eyes.

˚˚°˚˚

My eyes flutter open as a scream echoes from far away.  

All thoughts off sleep fly from my mind in alarm.

My eyes quickly scan the hall, trying to make out the sleeping figures against the floor. The Distress is directly across from me, still sleeping. Another shape is curled up further down the hall, but I can’t tell whether it’s Greg or Tooth.

Another figure is slumped against the wall, featureless in the shadows.

I have no idea how much time has passed. Is it Tooth’s shift or still Greg’s?

I decide to take the risk. This might be my only chance at escape and I can’t pass it up. If it is Greg, I’ll just have to come up with something.

I hesitantly hiss into the darkness, “Tooth?”

The figure propped against the wall stiffens, his head turning in my direction. He stays silent, giving me no answer as to whether it is Tooth or Greg.

I whisper loudly again, “Tooth? Is that you?”

A cautious response floats through the air, “Yesh? Why?”

I pause. I was so intent on staying awake and waiting until Tooth’s shift, that I never considered what to actually say to him. How do I convince him to let me escape?

I lick my lips, deciding to find information to twist back at him. I know it’s manipulation, but I need to escape.

I say, “Why do you work for The Distress?”

I see his silhouette’s of shoulders bounce, “I don’t know. He ‘ound me when I ‘irst came.”

 “But he’s so mean to you.”

 “I wouldn’t ha’ anywhere to go wi’out him. I on’y know Greg and him.”

I suggest, “But if you knew someone else, would you escape with them?”

He doesn’t seem to catch what I’m implying. I don’t know why I am inviting a boy to escape with me.  The Distress has proven to me that men are plenty violent and greedy. But, Tooth seems different. He did have the kindness to thank me for standing up for him. I feel bad that he has to put up with The Distress making fun of Tooth’s speech and missing teeth.

Tooth doesn’t say anything back.

I sigh, “Tooth, would you want to escape with me?”

Tooth rapidly shakes his head no.

I ask, “What? Why?”

Tooth hisses, “Are you insane? You can’t escape from The Distress.”

“Why not?”

“No one’s ever done it before.”

I shrug, feigning indifference although I’m panicking. I wasn’t expecting him to outright reject me

I plead, “Will you just let me escape? You don’t have to come with me. You can stay behind if you want.”

“What will I tell him when he wakes up and realize that you’ve escaped?”

I bite my lip, “I don’t know, tell him you fell asleep.”

 “I won’t lie for you. I don’t want to be on The Distress’s bad side.”

I wince as my voice comes out whiny, “Please? I stood up for you. I helped you.”

Tooth lets out a short laugh, “So that’s what that was all about? You didn’t really want to help me or be nice, did you? You just wanted me to help you escape. You probably don’t even care that The Distress makes fun of me. I bet you found it amusing.”

How could this have gone so wrong? I thought that Tooth was disloyal to The Distress and would want to escape if I presented him the opportunity. I believed that he would at least let me go.

I give it one last shot, “Please, Tooth, I’ll make sure The Distress will never find me again. Don’t you want to help someone out?”

 “Just like you ‘helped me’ out of ‘kindness’?” His voice drips sarcasm.  “Don’t even think about trying to run away either. I’ll just wake up The Distress and we’ll easily recapture you. I will not help you escape. Don’t talk to me anymore.”