“Exactly.” He says this like he’s proud of the fact.

I raise an eyebrow, “And this is a good thing?”

 “I think it adds more to the whole ‘Distress’ thing, you know? Don’t get captured otherwise you have more of a chance of getting attacked.”

I ask, “You capture more people?”

 “Oh yes, no one’s ever escaped. I keep them captured until they’re too terrified to even speak a word, then I let them go. If they haven’t disappeared yet.”

In order for me to have a sure escape, all I need to do is act scared. But, that means I have to lose almost all my pride and give The Distress exactly what he wants.

No one’s has ever escaped. I guess I’ll be the first one then. I don’t plan on making anything easy for him.

Besides, if I ‘disappear’ before The Distress were to ‘release me’, I would never get my chance to beat him. I need to escape. My story might even spread through the Unknown, giving other people hope in escaping The Distress.

The Distress is unaware of my thoughts as he lies down on the floor.

I ask, “What are you doing?”

He stares at me, “Trying to sleep?”

“On the floor?”

 “My dear, have you seen any beds since you’ve gotten here?”

 “I already told you. I’m Claire, not your dear.”

“And I told you to have my greatest apologies, my dear.”

I sigh sharply and decide to lie down as well, on the other side of the hall. The floor presses against my shoulder blades and the back of my skull. There’s no comfortable sleeping position, no matter how I place my body.

After a couple minutes, I let out a frustrated sigh.

The Distress hears me and calls out, “I once again welcome to the Unknown. Are you enjoying your stay?”

“Not at all,” I snap, “though mostly because I ran into you here.”

The Distress only laughs.

The hall falls back into silence around us. In the distance I hear another faint scream. Did the Things just attack another person?

What are the Things? They certainly aren’t people. Everything about them is too inhumane. Their screeching, their blank eyes, pale and freezing skin, just the simple way they move with the only intent to attack.

I roll on to my side, which takes the pain of my shoulder blades. Instead, it zones in on my hips, right arm, and stillmy head. Judging by the deepness of The Distress’s breathing, he’s already asleep. Tooth lies motionlessly down the hall, but not asleep. Greg leans against the wall, his eyes slowly scanning the hallway.