7

We arrive at the meeting at Big Mama's house. When I walk in I can feel this emptiness. It's not that people aren't there. My father and mother are in the living room. My father looks over at me. His eyes cross over me as though I'm not even there.

"Hey you guys..." I state walking in to the house.

A part of me didn't want to say anything. A part of me wanted to be rude and just walk past them, but this is Big Mama's house. She wouldn't have wanted it to be like that.
I expect at least a hi. I'm not expecting much. Joyous isn't even speaking to them. He is just looking awkward.
"Hey Joyous," my father says.

Joyous looks over at me. I shrug. I know what he's thinking. He probably feels bad that my father is such a dickhead. What's even worse is what my mother does after that.

"Hey...Joyous and..." my mother says almost like a weak little mouse who is scared that the cat might hear her. She stops before she says my name. Maybe it's because my dad gives her this wicked look. She just turns back to the television and sinks into it forgetting I am even fucking there. I am completely annoyed by it.

"You just all going to act like you don't see me?" I ask my parents.
Crickets.

No one says a fucking thing at that moment. My dad grabs the remote out of my mother's hands and turns the television up.

"Where is Jamison?" Joyous asks.

"In the study," my father lets him know.

I want to stay in there. I want to argue. I know Joyous is probably going to say I'm here starting shit if I do but it is annoying the hell out of me.

Joyous puts his arm on my shoulder and we leave the hallway walk past them. It's killing me not to sit there and say something to him. How do you ignore the person that you gave birth to? How the fuck does that work?

He gives me a look, "You OK kid?"

"Not really," I shrug.

"It'll get better," he tells me.

"No it won't."
"Regardless I'm here if it doesn't," he lets me know.

The room we walk into has several people in it. A lot of them I don't know. I don't know why Jamison has all of these people in Big Mama's house but I'm really confused about the shit. The one person who I do realize there is Keon.

I would expect Joyous to be more concerned with Keon but he notices something else almost immediately.

"Who?" Joyous asks.

He's referring to Jamison's broken nose.

Jamison points to me, "That motherfucker..."
All eyes in the room look at me. I don't even know who any of these people are. There is a heavy set woman. There is a real skinny looking girl that seems somewhat sickly. There are a bunch of gangbanger looking guys in the room as well. It's an odd cast and all of a sudden I'm the center of concern.

"I had my reasons," I state, "I can share them if..."
I start digging in my pockets. I was ready for Jamison to try to get over on me for breaking his nose. He wasn't going to let that go easily. I knew Joyous. I knew what he was like.

"It was an accident," Keon states, "Isn't that right Jamison?"

Keon saying that burns me. If he had done it before I found out what their relationship was I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Now I know though. Keon had something going on with Jamison. Maybe Keon was the one who was able to tame Jamison's shadiness all these years. Maybe that's what he's trying to do now. Even though he might have good intentions it irks me that he has that kind of control over Jamison.