Nora

I was beyond bored on the set every day and I wasn't about to be compliant about it. Did he really expect for me to stay in this little room all day while he filmed? I quickly nixed that idea and began to explore the area. Some of the filming was done inside on a set, but some of it was outdoors. Dad had no way of telling if I was actually in his dressing room or not. I got my work done and then went around bothering people.

Actually, everyone seemed to really like me. I had to admit, I could put on the charm if I wanted to. I offered to help with little errands and jobs. I was quickly becoming popular on set. On the way back home around 8 one night, Dad told me how much people were liking me.

"I've been hearing all about how you've been helping on set," he told me as we drove in the dark. "That's great. I've heard nothing but good things."

I let myself feel proud. Not that I was trying to be a goody two-shoes, but it felt nice to be complimented. I was glad I was actually being helpful.

"I guess you didn't hear about how I left some manure in Ruth's dressing room," I told him, and he laughed.

"Alright, how did you get this manure?"

"The fields of Wales are filled with it," I said. "And I used gloves."

He chuckled as we turned into our driveway. Everyone was hanging out in the living room like usual. Abuela and Abuelo were leaving to go back to New York in two days. I was kind of going to miss them. This was the longest amount of time I'd ever spent around them. They were such good people and they were starting to warm up to me, I think. Apart from that whole trying to board an international flight thing.

It had become a bit of a tradition for Abuelo and I to play Uno. It was my favorite card game. Without even asking, I found the deck and started dealing. I loved when I got Draw 2's and Draw 4's. He pretended to be furious with me and then got revenge when the time came. I laughed and laughed.

Mom and I talked a couple times a week. She was still clean and going to her program. Each time we FaceTimed, she looked physically good. I still missed her so much. Abuela and I cuddled a lot on the couch in the evening, which was when I missed my mom the most. She didn't make me talk about it; just held me.

Since dad and I were missing bedtime with Sebastian, he'd begun to read a chapter a night aloud to me from Harry Potter. At first, I thought it was a bit babyish to be read aloud to, but I really liked it. Dad and I would curl up on the couch or on my bed and I rested my head against his shoulder. I think he enjoyed it almost as much as I did. He still did the voices for the different characters as well.

One night, he read to me curled up on my bed. I was already in my pajamas, under the covers. I must have been exhausted because I kept feeling my eyelids droop, but I really wanted to stay awake until the end of the chapter. It was a losing battle, though. I felt dad carefully move away and guide me to lay down. He kissed my forehead and then turned out the light.

___

Two days later, we all took Abuelo and Abuela to the airport to see them off. On the drive over, I felt really sad. I'd been really enjoying being with them. I would miss the Uno games and cuddles. Dad helped get their suitcases out the trunk and set them on the sidewalk. Everyone started hugging, and as Abuela pulled me into her arms, I couldn't help myself. I started full-out crying.

"Oh, Nora," she cooed gently. "We'll see each other again soon."

She pulled my face away and kissed me on the forehead, smiling at me. "You're my favorite granddaughter."