Lin

I went to check in on Nora later that evening and found she was already asleep on her bed. Her cheeks were still stained with tears. I sighed, not quite knowing what to do. I knew this would be hard on her, but she was more upset than I had expected. Had I done the right thing asking for full custody?

The next morning, Nora was quiet as she got ready for school. She was subdued when she was usually a bundle of energy, ready to go. When I asked her questions, she gave me one word answers. I really wanted to talk to her, but she was already running tight on time. I told her to have a good day and she disappeared to catch the subway to school.

I went through the motions of my day, constantly thinking about Nora. What was she thinking and how was she feeling? I was in the middle of my thoughts when the phone rang. Nora's school. I picked up immediately.

"Mr. Miranda?"

"Yes," I said frantically.

"This is Mrs. Matthews. I'm the school nurse at Hunter and I have Nora in here with me. She had a bit of a meltdown a few minutes ago so I have her in my office to cool down."

"A meltdown?"

"She started yelling at a teacher and stormed out, and then a faculty member found her in the bathroom crying," she explained. "Are you able to come down and pick her up?"

"Yes, I'll be right there," I told her and immediately stood up. I found my keys and my wallet and rushed outside. I took the subway and ten minutes later, I was at school. I checked in at the main office then walked quickly down the hall to the nurse's office. I remember where it was from my days here.

When I walked in, Nora was laying on a cot, her knees curled up towards her chest in the fetal position. She was crying softly. The nurse greeted me and shook my hand.

"She's better now, but she was pretty distraught when she came in," she explained quietly.

"Thank you," I told her, then slowly walked over to Nora. I knelt down next to her cot, her back facing me. I placed my hand on her upper arm and rubbed it gently.

"Sweetheart, let's get you home," I told her softly. She rolled over, her face covering her hands. I sat down on the floor and bent down so my face was close to hers.

"I didn't want to choose," she told me tearfully. I knew she must mean choose between her mother and me. Immediately, I felt horrible. If I hadn't asked for full custody, none of this ever would have happened.

"I know," I said softly. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. You're upset so let's get you home and get you into bed."

She finally nodded and pushed herself up to seated. I studied her face, looking at her eyes, but she refused to make eye contact. Nora picked up her backpack and followed me out of the room. The nurse told her to feel better. I quickly signed Nora out at the office and we walked out. The ride home was silent. Nora immediately went to her bedroom and I decided to give her some space. I texted Vanessa.

Nora had a meltdown at school so she's home with me now. Not sure this custody arrangement is the best thing.

We can talk about it later. Is she okay?

In her room now. I'm gonna go talk to her.

Keep me updated. Xxx

After a good half hour, I knocked on my daughter's door and she answered softly to come in. She had already changed into some sweatpants and a hoodie with her hair swept up in a messy bun. I sat down next to her on her bed.