Chapter Fifty-One (New Chapters)

Start from the beginning

"So...how long are you actually going to torture him?" Lucian asked, helping her up into the cab of the truck

"Mikayla says he needs two weeks to think about his actions" Blake retorted as they pulled out onto the road, heading for school for the last day as Juniors.

"What did he even do exactly?" 

"Her words were 'he was his stupid dumb self' if I remember correctly"

"Sounds about right" he retorted, smiling at her

The morning was normal, rather peaceful. Since it was the last day it appeared that the majority of the students decided not to show, which made the place feel a little less chaotic. She walked down the hall, heading for her locker to get her lunch, when she found herself pausing, glancing at the black set of doors she glanced at every school day. After the science wing had been re-built, they had painted the doors a different color than the rest of the school. As far as she knew, there wasn't any real reason behind it, it just happened to end up like that. She found the urge to gravitate towards it, curiosity maybe? Who knows. But, she did, after being so repulsed by it up till that point. She pushed open the set of doors, feeling the click of the lock in her hands. She pushed it open, letting them close behind her with a small clatter. She stood there, in the hallway. It looked the exact same as it used to before the fire happened, it was all even painted the same colour, even despite the change to the doors. The same linoleum floors, the same egg-shell walls. She didn't know what she was expecting to find, it was all the same, as if the incident had never happened to begin with. But she remembered glimpses, images inside her head of the flames everywhere, the walls, the floor, the roof. Of everything on fire and crumbling above her, it made her heart jump in her chest, beating harder than the moment previous. She wanted to look in that room, the room where she had broken the window to escape for her life. But, she didn't know if she was quite ready for that yet.

"Hey Blake" the voice startled her, gripping her shirt at the collar with a small jump. She turned, finding Zac with his backpack ad leather jacket

"Oh! Hi!" she claimed, a smle forming on her features "You startled me"

"Sorry about that" he flicked his hair out of his eyes, coming to stand beside her. "So...-" he muttered "What are you staring at?" she just smiled, shaking her head at her own stupidity.

"Nothing, I'm not staring at anything," she responded. It was kind of true, she hadn't been looking at anything in particular. Maybe it was just the entire mosaic she found her eyes drawn to, the emptiness and sameness of what had always been compared to what it once had. She had almost died, but it was the exact same. The door opened behind them, and they both turned, looking at Lucian as he stared between them. He looked irritated, looking down at her.

"Blake, let's go" she glanced down at her hands, knowing she was in trouble. She was with Zac with nobody else around

"You're so insecure that you have to ban her from anyone else?" Zac retorted at her side

"She chose me you self-absorbed prick, fucking deal with it" Blake's eyes widened considerably at Lucian's words. She looked at him in disbelief as he reached out, grabbing her arm and guiding her away from Zac. She looked back at Zac apologetically before the door shut between them. She turned her head as she was pulled along with him, the strong grip he had on her wrist.

"Lucian!" she claimed. He didn't let go, he didn't even look at her "Lucian, let go" she insisted, pulling back from his grip, at least attempting to. She ripped her hand from his grip in a final pull, and that stopped him. He looked back at her, as she gripped his wrist and pulled him in the other direction. She lead him to the second computer room, knowing that it would be empty at this time during the school day. She lead him inside, shutting the door behind her. He appeared confused as she turned, looking up to face him with disappointment on her features

"That was entirely uncalled for" she claimed truthfully. His teeth clenched behind his lips, his hands fistign in frustration "Why would you say that to him?"

"To be fair, I've said worse to him" he retorted

"That's not the point" she insisted in frustration.

"Why are you on his side?!" he asked suddenly "He treated you like shit, and now he's still trying to get with you!"

"I'm not on anyone's side" she responded sternly "My feelings for Zac are long gone and you know that better than anyone else" she claimed. She just sighed, crossing her arms against her chest

"You're lying, you still like him don't you?" he asked suddenly, his voice fast and accusatory, to her disbelief "he's trying to take you from me!"

"No! He's not!" she claimed "He's my friend Lucian, nothing more!" she ran her hands through her hair "Do you not trust me?" she asked. He knew he backed himself into a corner with that one. He tried to think of what to say, which way to respond that wouldn't make him either look ridiculous or a dumbass.

"He's right" he sighed suddenly, and she found herself raising an eyebrow

"What are you talking about?"

"He's right...about me being...insecure" he muttered, his teeth clenched. Her eyes softened, reaching over to grab his hands, unfisting them from his sides and holding them in her own

"Look Blake-" he started "I've got a debilitating health condition, I find it hard to control my anger...there are things I don't like about myself and sometimes when my mind wonders...I question if you might find someone better than me"

"That will never happen" she insisted, giving his hands a squeeze "You are the greatest guy I know, your flaws and all" she leaned up, pressing a kiss to his cheek. He let out a sigh, leaning forward to press his lips against her own. She smiled against his own, feeling the warmth of his lips. The only way we'll separate is if you don't want me anymore, I promise. The thought was dark, but it was like a reflex she couldn't control. She had to accept that she probably would never feel fully secure either, no matter how much she tried. 

"But, you know what would make you an even greater guy?" she asked, watching as his eyes narrowed, as if he already knew what she was going to say. He did. "If you apologized to Zac" he mumbled nonsense, tutting his tongue to her laughter. She let her hands slip from his, leaning up to grab his cheeks gently with her fingers. "Would another kiss convince you?" he rolled his eyes in amusement. She guided his cheeks gently, pressing her lips against his own for good measure.

"Fine..." he groaned against her lips, making her smile