4.4 - No End on Earth

Start from the beginning

“Much to plunder,” another companion rejoiced.

“Not by day,” Rider cautioned. “This place is powerfully fortified. We’ll have to pillage in the dead of night, in order to emerge alive.”

The city was certainly larger and more strongly built than most others that this company had encountered. Humble settlements of huts dotted the coastline in the shadow of colossal seaside cliffs, but further inland, the city’s central structures stood sturdy and proud.

“Set up camp at the base of this hill,” Rider bade his followers. “I and some men will enter peaceably for now, to scope out the city.  To see where its riches are greatest and its defenses weakest. We’ll meet at sundown at the summit of this hill, to plan our moonlight raid.”

“Only men, for your entry by day?” Cloe chimed in as the band obediently began to unpack. “Wouldn’t that raise some suspicion?”

He looked at her levelly. “Not if we go unarmed.”

“You’re threatening even without your weapons, though,” she stated. “More so than you know. There’s a visible hunger for plunder in your eyes that can’t be hidden—all of you who live and breathe as thieves. If the town were to perceive it…”

He cocked his head. “And your eyes hold no hunger, I suppose?”

Her brown gaze deepened. “Not for what shouldn’t be mine.”

“She is right,” Dictys calmly interposed. “Her presence would lend toward an innocent appearance. No man with pride ever lets himself fear a woman, after all—and with great wealth and power comes great pride. The rich men of this city will not see her as a threat.”

Rider paused, considering Cloe closely for a moment. “So now you want to aid our thieving cause? Sooner than slip off to inform the city of our shady plans, so that they can have us killed?”

The notion of his death—caused by her betrayal, no less—struck her more deeply than it should have. She bit her lip against the pang.

He wrongly read her bitten lip as hesitance. “Somehow I doubt it.”

“Doubt all you want,” she answered without hesitation. “I guess you'll have to take your chances.”

A longer pause, this time. “Come, then,” he eventually acceded, extending a hand toward her. “I’ll just keep a close eye on you.”

“As you always do,” Chrysaor mumbled from somewhere nearby.

Rider culled a handful of men, and several other women for good measure, to accompany him into town. Chrysaor was not among the comrades he selected. To Cloe’s chagrin, the batty blonde was. Mostly because she clung to Rider like a barnacle as soon as she learned that women were invited on this venture. Leaving their weaponry behind, the small group descended toward town, met with an open welcome.

“Good thing you chose to bring women along,” the clingy blonde purred at her former lover as the group wove through the streets. “No doubt I’m the reason we’re so well-received, don’t you think?”

He had no comment. Even if her exposed limbs and overflowing breasts were to thank for the welcome, that was of no matter to Rider.

He ordered the group to disband, to survey the city separately and reconvene at dusk atop the hill as planned. He dispatched the half-naked girl with another man. She whined in protest, of course.

“I’ve got to keep an eye on this one,” he told her, nodding toward Cloe, whose hand he still clasped. “Can’t trust her the way I trust you.”