Chapter 2

The sound of rustling papers followed after the bell. "All right, I would like everyone to complete the introduction of their essay by Friday and please don't forget to bring your permission slip for our field trip tomorrow. If you don't have it, you will not be going. Enjoy your evenings, everyone." Many students rushed out of the class before I finished but that's to be expected of the last bell of the day. Most were on their way to sports practices or going home to play video games. There were a few students that hung back, taking their time putting their stuff away.

I sighed, taking a seat at my desk looking through the several quizzes that needed to be marked.

"Ms. Gordon?" A small voice asked. I looked up and smiled at Jason Schafer.

"Yes, Jason. What can I help you with?" I asked. He was one of my top students, but I often found him in my room after class with numerous questions.

"I don't think I did too well on the quiz. I was confused on parts, and I didn't know if you could go over them with me." He rushed. Jason frequently came to me with doubts on his test scores and assignments. Something I believe stems from his parents pushing for good grades. The poor kid was top in the class but worried about never being good enough.

I sighed and looked down at the papers. "Well, I have a lot of grading to do with the quizzes. Once I sort through them all, we can sit down and discuss your scores and review anything you had trouble with." I stated. His eyes wandered down to his hands as he nervously played with his fingers, a habit I often observed him do. I rested my arms against the desk and reached for his hands, grabbing his attention. "But Jason, I'm sure you did great," I added. He glanced up hopefully and gave a small smile.

"Thank you, Ms. Gordon. I will see you tomorrow!" He bounced out of the door with more confidence than he had moments ago. The pressure his parents put on his scores always seemed to affect his confidence. The least I could do was restore some hope in his life.

I shuffled through the papers, separating and organizing the disaster left on my desk from the weekend. Monday's were always a reality check when it came to school work. Assignments needed to be graded, tests needed to be scored, and lessons needed to be planned. It was overwhelming enough without having to deal with the drama of South Shore Children's Academy. After Amy's sister passed in the plane crash, she took a leave of absence leaving administration to find a long-term substitute and students thinking school work isn't relevant while their teacher was gone. When they slack in one class, they start slacking in all the others.

A soft knock pulled me from my thoughts as I lifted my head. A smile spread across my face as I saw the man I love holding a cup of coffee. "Sorry to interrupt but I thought you'd need this." He walked over handing me the warm beverage. He always knew the way to my heart. I took it gleefully and gave him a quick peck on the lips.

"You, my good sir, are my hero," I stated, taking a sip. If there was one thing I loved more than him, it was coffee. "What are you doing out of work? I figured the hospital would need its head surgeon on duty. You know, saving lives and such." I gave a small smile and crossed my legs.

He chuckled at my comment. He leaned against my desk folding his arms. "Well, I figured my beautiful fiancé would need a cup of coffee after a long day of school. I know you'll be here all night grading papers anyways. Better I see you now before you come home at 10 pm and go straight to bed." I looked up as he perfectly predicted the events that were about to take place tonight. I was never one to procrastinate grading papers, so it was common for me to spend countless hours reading and rereading essays or grading tests. More times than not, all he'll receive is a brief "love you" before I fall asleep.

"You know me too well, Will." I laughed. "Hopefully I won't be here too long tonight. We have a field trip tomorrow so I'll need plenty of rest." I placed the cup on my desk and began shuffling through the papers. "What time will you be home tonight?"

He let out a breath and glanced at his watch. "I'm on call tonight. I was about to head home to get some sleep before I get called it." Any night William was on call was a night we knew he'd barely be home. Most times he's called in by 9 pm with only a couple hours of sleep. It was a hard demand for him, but he loves what he does.

He took my hands, and I stood up. My 5'4" height was nothing to his 6'1". He towered over me and regularly enjoyed bringing it up. He pulled me into a hug, knowing that we probably wouldn't see each other again for the rest of the night. "Please be safe. There are crazy people everywhere, even in hospitals." I mumbled into his chest.

His deep chuckle rumbled through his chest making me smile. "I know. I work with most of them." I took a step back and gasped putting my hands on my chest.

"Don't let Malia hear you say that. She'd be hurt." I exclaimed. He shook his head and put his hands on both sides of my face.

"Oh trust me, she knows it." I smiled, looking into his hazel eyes. He pulled me in for a kiss.

I pulled away with a sigh and sat down. "Go. Go save lives. Leave me to die of paper cuts from all these papers to grade." I exaggerated.

He laughed and kissed the top of my head before walking to the door. "Well, you know where to find me if you get too many paper cuts." He stopped and turned. "I love you my little drama queen."

I smiled and turned, leaning back in my chair. "Love you more."

He exited the room with one last wave as I focused my attention on the mountains of paper and hours of work ahead of me.